• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Got knocked in the face...worried about tooth and implant

M

MountainMama

I was clipping my dog’s nails and she suddenly threw her head back and whacked me in the face, hard. My nose may have a fracture...not sure yet. It isn’t crooked, but it hit hard enough to somewhat flatten the bump I had in my profile on my nose.
I am very worried about my front teeth, especially the implant. My natural tooth got hit. I felt it although my nose took the brunt of it. My tooth aches (#9) and I am not even attempting to see if it is loose. Way too scared to check. My whole upper jaw hurts.!Obviously I can’t feel anything on the implant crown (#8), but is it a good sign that there is no severe pain from the implant area? I just got the new crown! What should I look for? I know I will have to keep an eye on the other front tooth now as well.

Just barely pressed against front tooth (natural) and it is a tiny bit loose. More than the usual normal flexibility. I am now freaking out. I will not test the implant crown...too scared.
The natural tooth will tighten back, right? Although it may be permanently damaged, just like the other one?
I will call the dentist Monday but if any reassurance can be given now, it would be appreciated.

The front tooth will firm back up again if it's just slightly mobile. The implant will be fine, they don't have a periodontal ligament so they're a bit less vulnerable in some respects.

Generally it's better (!) if the teeth get pushed backwards rather than up into the socket, so a front facing blow like that is probably the best of a bad lot.

I'm lucky, my 2 idiot dogs run about so much on rough ground and dig in the beach so much that they have almost no claws to worry about, I've never had to clip them.

Ouch, you poor thing! Sadly no advice about your teeth but fingers crossed for no broken bones and that you start to heal quickly x

The front tooth will firm back up again if it's just slightly mobile. The implant will be fine, they don't have a periodontal ligament so they're a bit less vulnerable in some respects.

Generally it's better (!) if the teeth get pushed backwards rather than up into the socket, so a front facing blow like that is probably the best of a bad lot.

I'm lucky, my 2 idiot dogs run about so much on rough ground and dig in the beach so much that they have almost no claws to worry about, I've never had to clip them.
Oh thank you! That takes the anxiety down a lot! I am supposed to go back to the dentist on the 10th for him to take a picture of the implant crown so if things feel better Monday, I will just wait until then and ask him to check it.
My dog’s nails grow super fast. Even with running around outside, I still have to clip them at least every other week. She is usually fine with it, but yesterday my son walked in while I was just in the right position and she flung her head back. Ouch! My whole face hurts today and the front tooth is achy but still just a little mobile. I left my nightguard out last night as it hurt too much to wear. I guess I will leave it out a few nights until the tooth tightens up again.

Ouch, you poor thing! Sadly no advice about your teeth but fingers crossed for no broken bones and that you start to heal quickly x
Thanks. I think it is okay, or at least just a small fracture because it didn’t swell too badly with icing it and although my nose is pretty bruised up I don’t have black eyes (yet). My whole face throbs! My husband has been hit in the face a few times in baseball, back in college and tells me it isn’t that bad. He said I got a free nose job. ?

Thats something my other half would say aswell! Lol.

Fingers crossed that there are no black eyes.

@Gordon How long should I wait for the front tooth to stop hurting before I start worrying? It seems to be tightening back up but still has a dull ache to it. My nose is still quite painful so I don’t know if some of it is referred pain. There are a lot of weird feelings going on right now, with my teeth feeling tight and some clicking and popping occasionally. The natural tooth in the front has a weird achy, almost burning feeling right on the back of the tooth. I didn’t call the dentist because everything seemed to be getting better.

Give it another couple of days, it would be worth getting an x-ray at some stage anyway to check there's been no root damage on the natural tooth, although it sounds unlikely.

Give it another couple of days, it would be worth getting an x-ray at some stage anyway to check there's been no root damage on the natural tooth, although it sounds unlikely.
Thank you. I appreciate the advice! It feels better today. I will mention it at my appointment next week for the pictures of the implant crown.

Back