• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Got my first dentist appointment, now I'm getting very upset.

V

Vix

My mother got off the phone just half an hour ago and I'm in tears now because I'm so afraid. It's booked for the 4th of January.

I can't believe how long I've waited for this. I even posted here a YEAR ago because I was supposed to have been going... but that didn't happen, mainly my mother's fault.

I can't believe I'm crying right now and I'm not even in the clinic yet. What am I going to be like there?

I'm so scared the dentist is going to tell me off because of my teeth. My parents never encouraged me to brush them or take me to the dentist. I only bothered really brushing them when I was in my teens because I understood the importance of it.

I'm lucky I have all my teeth and they're not in too bad of an order, I just hate the gap between the front bottom two.

I'm just scared all over. What can I do to prevent myself from crying or shaking?
Am I being irrational? I just wish I knew what to expect, but I have no idea...

I just hope one day I can smile for real.

I feel for you Vix, I'm sure many of us on here know where you're coming from. Please don't worry about getting upset when you go to the clinic, I burst into tears at my first visit and the dentist was very understanding.

I know it's easy for me to say but try not to worry too much between now and your appointment, try to look upon it as the first step to putting things right and moving on to a brighter future and lovely smile. Often the waiting is worse than the actual experience.

I will be thinking of you and am sure once you've been you will be so glad you did it, good luck.

You are not being irrational. Many of us feel the same way about going to the dentist. I don't think they will tell you off. If they do you need to find another dentist. I think everything will be just fine. Try not to worry but I understand ... easier said than done. You might see about getting something for anxiety... xanax or something. It does help ... me anyway.You will be ok.

Hi Vix,

You should be proud of yourself for taking the first step and booking the appointment! That takes a lot of courage. Try not to worry about the dentist 'telling you off', it is their job to help you get them in order and have most likely seen worse. Most dentists these days are very aware of dental fears and are making an effort to help their patients conquer them...it's bad for business to tell off your customers and make them afraid of you. Remember that you are in control. Take things at your pace and if you don't like the office or the dentist you are free to leave at anytime.

There is not a lot you can do to avoid crying or shaking at the clinic. I still shake uncontrollably when I get to the dental office and I have had the same dentist for 8 years whom I have built up a great amount of trust and rapport with. The worst thing you can do is hide your fear and try to 'put on a brave face.' This will usually only intensify the anxiety that your experiencing. It would be better if you can, try to express your fears to the dentist so that they know how to help you...part of their job is making sure that you are comfortable and they usually want to know this information. If you have questions or things you would like to tell the dentist you may want to write them down in advance in case you feel upset and can't remember what you wanted to address when you get there. If you feel like you may need something for the anxiety such as a mild sedative you could call the dentist office or your general physician. Many times they will call in a prescription for you in advance so long as you have somebody to drive you. You could also perhaps focus on the reason for choosing this dentist in particular...this is based on the assumption that you did not just pick a random clinic. Surely something about them motivated you to book an appointment. Do they advertise that they are good with fearful patients? Do they have good reviews? Were they recommended by a friend or family member who you trust? etc. Also, you may want to try to identify what you fear specifically in addition to being told off by the dentist unless that's your only fear...by breaking down each fear and addressing them individually you may feel less overwhelmed.

Whatever the outcome, know that you are taking a step forward to benefit your health and if this dentist is "the one" then that's fantastic! If not, there are plenty good ones out there waiting for you to come and see them! :) Your fears are valid and that is evidenced in the number of members on this board (over 9,000!!!!) Try to take it easy before your appointment, maybe treat yourself to something nice and keep busy and do let us know how you get on.

Kitkat

Thank you so much for your kind words, it really does help.

Realizing my appointment is tomorrow is giving me horrible crampy pains in my stomach. It's so strange, I never thought it would affect me physically this badly. It's as if my body is more afraid than my mind is. :(

@Kitkat ~ Thank you so much. <3 I'm going to do a little shopping afterwards if I can. But if the dentist ends up rendering me semi-conscious I mightn't be able to do it!

Back