• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum grafting and worries

F

FranticLemming

Hello. I saw a perio and he said he'd recommend a gum graft over my 6 front lower teeth, or said I could get it across the 4 front bottom ones, or just the 1 receded tooth. I have paper thin gums and you can clearly see the roots underneath. They don't really feel different front my thick gums on my molars since all my teeth are cold sensitive anyway. Just the receded totoh feels a little irritated when I brush down lower on the receded part This seems to maybe be hereditary since my mom had thin gums too but she said it was from braces for her. I also had braces so maybe it's all tied.

Anyway for those who had a gum graft how was it? I've heard how the recovery is worse than the surgery but I'm super anxious about both. Especially sitting in the chair and being awake during it all. Being put under scares me too though, and we can't really afford the full graft. My mom said she'd pay for the 1 tooth because it's super expensive. I have grade 1 mobility on the front 2 lower teeth apparently and I've definitely felt it before, but since my dental exam I've been brushing and flossing daily at least once a day. My gums are starting to look a bit pinker so I'm hopeful that'll help the mobility and the gums might tighten back up around the teeth. Debating on holding off on the gum graft for when I secure a job and can save up but that might be awhile, or go for the 1 tooth gum graft.

Thus far I've only experienced an extra tooth pulled on my upper front teeth when I was a kid(all I remember was painful shot then lots and lots of pressure/wiggling, then it bleeding a lot after and a big gauze), a deep cleaning and a cavity filling. (And tomorrow I have 3 cavities to be filled, which also nervous about but then I remind myself I've done it once before like 9 years ago so...)

Well had cavities filled. Felt a little pain on the lower most mostly just discomfort. Now upper molar aches after the filling. But now the dentist says I may need a crown for my tooth that hurts on the opposite side. But he didn't see anything and only brought up a crown after I said it aches sometimes and it hurt a little with I was chewing cookies a few days ago. Says it could be a crack maybe. They never saw anything in my xray 2 weeks ago so a little confused what could cause this pain and if I really need a crown.

I also don't eat anything super hard typically so it would have to be from teeth clenching, which I have caught myself doing occasionally especially when I wake up.

For me, what was the most annoying from the gum graft was the restrictions on how to clean your teeth and what you can eat. This lasts for months, but the further you are, the lesser restrictions you have.

Back