• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

gum puffy

R

rosy

I just had a deep filling done yesterday and now my gum is a little puffy and sore. Is this normal sometimes after getting a tooth filled?

Well I just had a filling that went below the gum in the back and my gums are puffy and super sore.

Mine is also below the gum. I had a back molar refilled. Had to have a shot in the roof of mouth plus a regular shot on the outer gum. He had to put a band around my tooth when he filled it. Just wonder if the band and the shots is causing the soreness and puffiness?

I'm pretty sure my Dentist did the same. Did it feel like something being pushed down hard there and then pulled out? I didn't see so can only ask on feeling. Now there is a line that looks pretty ugly there behind the tooth. Mine was a closer to the front molar. I'm trying to eat on it tonight but it still hurts. I'm not sure if most of the pain is from the filling being placed or the band but man this hurts way worse than I expected.

Are you talking about the band? I know they use the band when the filling needs to go on outer parameters of the tooth. It is kind of like a mold so the tooth has the right shape. They have to push it up under the gum,before they put the filling in.

Sometimes with a deep filling the gums certainly can be irritated resulting in a little bit of swelling and soreness. Usually it should settle down within a few days, but if it doesn't contact the dentist and have it checked out.

Rosy,
Is your tooth better? Mine is still hurting and the gums still are red.:(

Mine has gone down and no longer hurts. Have you been picking at your gums? I just left mine alone and did not eat on that side and rinsed with warm salt water.

The salt water hurts, well anything warm at all hurts. I don't eat on that side, that is the only top molar I have left on that side. The other side of my mouth I have a 2 month old filling still hurting me too. I keep asking and they keep saying wait and see. I'm starting to get really depressed over it all.

What shade of red is it and how puffy is it?

In an hour I have a Dentist appt. I called this morning. I'm scared. I'll let you know what they say.

Back