• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Have I been ripped off?

A

apara

This was my first visit to this new office. Because I have not done a cleaning for about 2 years, they recommended deep cleaning with dental irrigation. The deep cleaning was going to cost an additional $25 over what my insurance covered per quadrant ($100 total more). The irrigation was going to cost an additional $180 which the insurance did not cover at all.

I asked if the irrigation can be skipped, but they insisted that it is a part of the process and must be performed.

The procedure started with an ultrasonic de-scaler which was used to scrape around my gums all while it was squirting a lot of water. Then another round of cleaning with a regular dental scraper. Finally, the irrigation was done using a bent needle and a syringe squirting some liquid into my gums for about 5 minutes total. The entire procedure took 45 minutes (2:45 to 3:30). I was advised not to drink, eat or wash out my mouth for about 30 minutes. I paid $280 out of pocket.

I have never had deep cleaning done, however, I am concerned that I did not get what I paid for. How long do "deep" cleanings normally last? Also, the irrigation took about 5 minutes for out of pocket cost of $180. The taste of the liquid was minty, but a little bitter. Does this seem right?

Thanks for any help.
-AP_

no one can say what you needed but I can comment on some general points. First of all telling me what you had to pay out of pocket is no help at all. I don't know if the charge was 30/ quadrant or 300/quadrant.
If you needed a deep cleaning then you had some sort of deeper pockets and if root planning was done you also had bone loss. Either way you first needed a proper diagnosis. This is done by probing your mouth with a periodontal probe and recording 6 pocket depths per each tooth.
In my office we usually treat only 2 quadrants at a time and appoint 1 1/2 hours for each appointment. The patient has at least local anesthesia for the procedure. So it would take two appointments for a total of three hours. By the way a regular care appointment with the Rdh is one hour in my office.
As to irrigation it has no value beyond a very short period of time so it isn't done in my office.

Back