• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Having complex wisdom tooth removal surgery under IV Sedation but Dentist urging me to do Implants..

C

coopercharlie

Having complex wisdom tooth removal surgery under IV Sedation but Dentist urging me to do Implants..

at same time. I'm really annoyed at the pressure he's placing on me as I am terrified enough about this one wisdom tooth which is partially erupted & impacted - laying horizontally so have opted to go under twilight sedation for it to be removed. This dentist is highly renowned for sedation dentistry but is pressuring me to do thousands of dollars in dental treatment, obviously because I have health insurance so on my second consult visit I advised I only want the wisdom tooth surgery as I'm too phobic about anything else right now & that's the urgent matter that needs to be dealt with. The dentist said fair enough for the other side but I still highly recommend that you do the implant on that same side near the wisdom tooth coming out. I felt pressured again & agreed but am now regretting it. I don't think I need implants anyway, they're for teeth that arent visible when I smile but I'm scared that if I demand to only have my wizzie out, that he could be sneaky & damage my other teeth while I'm under or stupid thoughts like that are going through my head. What should I do as I don't want to be dentist shopping as he has such a good reputation for safe sleep dentistry. Appreticate any advice you can give, thanks!!

Re: Having complex wisdom tooth removal surgery under IV Sedation but Dentist urging me to do Implan

Go and have the wizzie seen to, but tell the dentist - before you are sedated ! - that you have changed your mind about the implant and no longer consent to that treatment. If he cuts up rough tell him (preferably in front of others) that he has no right at all to pressure you - he's a dentist not a salesman - and (if absolutely necessary and as a last resort) say that you'll cheerfully sue for assault if he carries out any treatment you haven't consented to. Not nice, but needs must.

Re: Having complex wisdom tooth removal surgery under IV Sedation but Dentist urging me to do Implan

If you're seriously considering implants, it make sense to do both surgeries together so you won't have to be put to sleep twice. BUT, if its not something you're interested in at this time just speak with your dentist that you're not interested in implants at this time but will keep it under consideration.

Do not feel pressured to do anything you are unsure about! Implants are a costly and big decision so if you want them make sure you’re certain. Yes they seem to be the best replacement, but there are other options also. Call up before hand and make them aware you’re just wanting the wizzie tooth out and Would like to hold off the implants. If you feel he’s capable of maybe damaging other teeth maybe have another shop around, it wouldn’t hurt and I’m sure there are plenty of sedation trained dentists around!

Back