• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

having problems wearing dentures need help

K

kaitlin4599

so back in late 2018 i had all of my teeth pulled out as my dentist said my teeth were bad and i needed dentures. 2019 came and i got my dentures. well heres the problem i tried wearing the dentures but they cause me severe anxiety to the point where i have a panic attack cant breathe pace back and forth etc. also anytime i try to wear the dentures i hypersalivate worse than a dog

for context i am able to eat most foods just fine by gumming them down

just not sure what to do i mean im happy not wearing the dentures but idk i feel lost didnt expect myself to be drooling like a pig with my dentures in nor did i expect them to cause me severe panic attacks

edit so if i go the rest of my life without teeth i will survive i can still eat things like cake pizza pasta some kinds of meat etc just struggling with the panic attacks and salivation/drooling like my mouth wont stop drooling at all

Last edited:
Hi kaitlin4599,

sounds like while you were trying hard to get used to the dentures, they are still causing you a lot of anxiety whenever you try to wear them. You seem to be really persistant, trying to deal with this since 2019. It also looks like you are not really sure whether you want the denture at all, I am just not sure whether it‘s more a result of trying hard without a result or whether you have been unsure about the denture back then already.

Many people go through a rather tough period of getting used to dentures (we have a post about this in our FAQ here and an article about it here), but getting panic attacks and hyperventilating is not how it should look like.

Would you mind sharing few details? For example, I was wondering how the fitting at the dentist was - were you ok with trying them for a short time with your dentist or did the anxiety occure already there? Have you had the denture checked by your dentist any time after you got it? And is there any amount of time, be it seconds - that you can cope before the anxiety kicks in?

All the best wishes

As a possible (probable..?) future denture-user, this topic really interests me.

This may not work, but I thought I'd share an idea I have about that. If trying to use them is problematic, perhaps you can just take it more slowly?

First just have the dentures out where you can see them, and move them around so you get used to just seeing and handling them. Not using yet. Just the sight, the feel (with your hands, fingers, etc). Just get used to them always being there, until you're completely numb to their appearance and they seem as normal as furniture in your life.

Then you can take a step further, bring them really close to your face and inspect them, look at their every curve, nook, and feel the shape with your fingers.

Doing it phase by phase like this may help you psychologically to get used to them. It may seem silly, but human psyche usually gets 'numb' to things it sees/experiences all the time, especially if those things are essentially harmless.

Any time you start salivating or having a reaction like that, back off to a previous step, when that doesn't happen.

Once you get to the point where you can actually touch your face with the dentures, maybe you can eventually proceed to touching them with your lips (or your lips with them). Keeping lips closed, just getting used to the touch.

Proceeding carefully like this, and taking exactly as much time as it needs, even if it takes weeks, months, years... might help lessen the effect when you finally have them in your mouth.

This is just an idea, it might work or not work, but I think 'getting used' to things slowly instead of instantly rushing to the 'end goal' might help, psychologically thinking.

I’m having the same issues and don’t know what to do. I struggled even with the moulds. I’m to eying so hard but I can’t even get the feeling out of my head bar a few minutes before I start panicking and breathing rapidly. Ultimately ends in me sat crying. I feel my life is over. I can’t go out anymore for the fear of anxiety, I live alone and can’t see life changing. So I feel your pain, it’s so hard to describe the actual feeling that starts the attacks. I hope you get some answers and I’ll be reading them too.

I’m having the same issues and don’t know what to do. I struggled even with the moulds. I’m to eying so hard but I can’t even get the feeling out of my head bar a few minutes before I start panicking and breathing rapidly. Ultimately ends in me sat crying. I feel my life is over. I can’t go out anymore for the fear of anxiety, I live alone and can’t see life changing. So I feel your pain, it’s so hard to describe the actual feeling that starts the attacks. I hope you get some answers and I’ll be reading them too.

Hi Suek67,

sorry to read about your situation, this sounds tough :( I was particularly sorry to read the part about this feeling like your life is over but reading about how much anxiety you are having, I see how this feels that way. Living alone doesn't make things easier I guess. I was wondering how long have you been struggling with this and what have you tried so far? Also, how do you currently manage to eat?

Back