• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Having to get my large molar refilled yet again

N

nutzforcats

I went to my dentist for a cleaning and xrays. I was really hoping for no need for other work but of course, my big filling(about a third of my tooth) has broken (not causing me any pain) after only three years-it's amalgam. I've had this same filling redone 4 times in the last 15 years so am abit annoyed i'm having to get it done yet again. I don't eat hard food and am careful-chew mostly on my right side so how can this happen? I have bad anxiety esp. when having to get a filling done as I find it hard to breathe with the dental dam and all the extra stuff in my mouth. I also have a swollen sinus above this tooth so this is the worst time to get a filling. How long can I wait before I need to really get this done? I'd rather wait but don't want to wait too long as I don't want to get another root canal/ crown as I can't afford that? I felt very pressured to make an appt. next week but ever since I came home I've been crying, angry and annoyed- I just can't get it done that soon. I asked if I can get the tooth out but she said i'd then loose the tooth below it, is that true? I'd rather not have to deal with this annoying tooth ever again and would rather lose it than have to continue to go through having to get it refilled every 3 years, not to mention the cost of all of this! I wish that tooth was worse so I wouldn't have to try to save it, it is stressing me out.:(

My dentist told me that teeth work in pairs like chopsticks. If one is missing, the opposing tooth below or above will over erupt in a bid to find it's missing "partner", which can eventually lead to tooth loss. The other surrounding teeth will also start shifting towards the space left behind by the extracted tooth. But this takes awhile to happen I think. I personally don't have any experience on this, but I have a coworker who experienced this like 10 years later.

When I had to get a deep and somewhat large filling in my 2nd molar, my dentist told me that how long a filling last depends on it's size and location. The larger the filling the more likely they would need replacement more often than a small one. I'm not sure how long you can wait to replace a broken filling though. But would think it's better sooner rather than later.

Since the filling is large, maybe consider saving towards getting a crown instead? It will last way longer than a large filling with proper care and hygiene.

I second a crown if tooth filing is constantly breaking. it might even fracture eventually? a crown will protect it more ask the dentist opinion

this is the first time it broke,before were other issues like her mistakes. I should go to a different dentist but there aren't many female white dentists' in my area, or ones' that take people on disability and i won't go to others. I feel better now i cancelled my appt., but now i have one for the 19th, still too soon but didn't have one available the next week and i guess i should get it done this month. Am waiting for a callback from my dentist to see how long i could wait, i just need more time to work up my courage and get help. I'd rather not go at all and wait until next year but can't wait that long which makes me feel worse. Guess I will just have to feel like crap, I just wanted to get my life back and not have to deal with anything, just wish I could stay in bed all day so I can forget everything, but unfortunetly have things to do, deal with so can't do that. :cry:

i just need more time to work up my courage and get help. I'd rather not go at all and wait until next year but can't wait that long which makes me feel worse. Guess I will just have to feel like crap, I just wanted to get my life back and not have to deal with anything, just wish I could stay in bed all day so I can forget everything, but unfortunetly have things to do, deal with so can't do that. :cry:

Dear nutzforcats,

it sounds like this is a very difficult situation for you. I may be wrong, but you seem to be able to see a dentist regularly, and also know what you need but at the same time not having too much hope when it comes to this filling. May I ask you what is the background of your fear and what things worry you you about that filling?

It’s sometimes helpful to separate things into pieces to find out the best way to cope with them. How does your dentist deal with your anxiety? Is there any possibility for her to make it easier for you? From what you describe it sounds like a filling material that doesnt necessarily need a rubber dam might help and maybe some breaks during the treatment for you to be able to catch the breath now and then.. just me brainstorming without knowing your options..

thanks for replying. My dentist has never asked why i have anxiety, while she is friendly and understanding, she doesn't try to find alternatives' to making it easier for me. Now i've had abunch of fillings over the years and actually know what they do, it hasn't helped, in fact it has made my fear worse. I still don't sleep well days before going to the dentist, put off going as long as I can (go twice a year but not every 6 months), and really fear when I need xrays as I know they could find a problem. I get anxious and stressed, worry about stomach issues, etc. All she has done is offer to cut a hole in the dental dam as I find it hard to breathe as I have swollen sinuses and take the odd quick break when I need one. I have a small mouth and doing a top back tooth is very uncomfortable for me. It's 2018, there should be a better way and quicker way to do a filling than how they do it. I didn't go to the dentist for over 10 years -of course when I did go, I needed wisdom teeth out(3) and a lot of fillings.:( I didn't have a bad experience, although the first dentist I went to wasn't that great and made me feel bad when I had anxiety, that is why I switched after that. I just don't like the feeling of things in my mouth and the loss of control-afraid I won't be able to breathe and swallowing stuff. I wish I could go to a pediatrist dentist but i'm 47 so that option is out.:( I know kids' get this done but i'm sure their dentists' make it easier for them as kids' are just treated better when they are scared than adults.

Things make a lot of sense now It sounds like you keep pushing yourself to get through treatment but your anxiety does not really get treated. It also seems that you are not very happy with your dentist and wished more support and more options.

I believe you would really profit from seeing a dentist who would be willing to work with you on finding ways to deal with your anxiety as well. The good news is that you do not need pediatric dentist for this, there are many dentists who dedicated their carreer to working with nervous patients and the techniques they use are often not too far from the one used with children. There are also sooooo many wide options in dentistry so that a willing dentist will be able to find ways to make treatment easier for you.

Would it be an idea to look around in your area a bit and focus on finding someone who knows how to work with people who are anxious? You could email some practices and explain your situation and see how they reply.

If you look around here on the forum you will find out that solving dental fear can happen at any age. You will also find out that having a good sympathetic dentist who is willing to fully support you makes the difference.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

I got a call back from the receptionist today, she isn't very friendly and said the dentist said i need it done now and offered closer times to get it done- i don't even want to go a week Wed. and now wished i had cancelled it right then if that is their attitude! I was told by another receptionist there that the dentist was going to call me so thought maybe she'd come up with an easier way to get it done. I will go but i don't know if i will go through with it, if they have this same attitude i will tell them i can't do it and just leave. Why should i be the only one feeling bad and then they will see how it feels! I showed up so they won't be able to charge me and if they do, i will refuse to pay. Feeling worse than i did before and am going to forget it for now, forget i don't even have to go, why ruin more of my time over this stupid tooth! If she had done it right the first time, i wouldn't need it done soo soon. I don't have much hope she is going to do it right and will have to get it done yet again in 2-3 years, which i don't want to keep doing. Now i am mad.

I second the suggestion to look around for a dentist who is good with nervous patients. Having a kind and understanding dentist who can support you in your journey does make a whole lot of difference. If you are not happy with your current dentist, you can choose to seek treatment with someone else too.

Unfortunately though, dentists are also humans, so mistakes do sometimes happen. But that said, like I mentioned earlier, how long a filling lasts depends on how large it is and its location. Other factors such patient's eating habits and other habits such as grinding and clenching does also affect the longevity of the filling. So it may be a combination of factors at play in your case. If the filling is large and it's failing more frequently than not, seriously consider getting a crown. With proper oral hygiene and care, I've heard of people having their crowns lasting over 20, 30 years. Perhaps you can enquire with your dentist at your next appointment.

Lastly, please don't cancel just to make them feel bad. At the end of the day, getting it sorted out is only for your own sake, so do this for you. But if you are not ready or don't want to go for your appointment on that day, you can always reschedule. Dentists (and doctors too) can propose treatment options to us patients, but at the end of the day it is still up to you to decide if you want to go ahead with it or not.

Back