• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Headache and ear ache after tooth extration

  • Thread starter Thread starter majordave59
  • Start date Start date
M

majordave59

Junior member
Joined
Mar 17, 2012
Messages
4
After reading some other posts I feel my problems are insignificant and I sympathis with those with greater issues.
I had 2 molers removed (1 on each bottom side). During the follow up appt. about 1 week after the extractions I explained that I've been experiencing ear aches (pain comes and goes throughout the day - right side) but the headache will not subside (right side- temple area and behind). It's not so much the degree of pain because I experience migraines but the regularity is about to drive me nuts. I go to bed with it, I wake up with it etc.. Some reprive, even if only for a couple hours would be wonderful.
Anyways (sorry I'm rambling), the surgeon stated that nerve damage is normal and consistent with my symptoms and with time everything should be fine which I understand and agree. It's now been almost 3 weeks and nothing is getting better (I understand this could take a month or so - depending on severity) so I was wondering is there some type of medication that would at least stop the headache if only for several hours?
Additionally, I'm trying to increase the blood flow to the area hopefully to increase the healing rate.
 
Hi,

I think this question is probably better answered by one of our resident dentists, but wanted to let you know your post was not going unread.

I, too, am a migraine sufferer, and I know how absolutely wearing it is when you have a headache that just won't quit. I'm sorry you're going through that, and I hope you get some relief soon!

[smiley=hugging.gif]
 
Thank you very much for the reply and kind words. I will be patient for additional information from a resident dentist but again, answer others in front of mine because my pain and issues are considerable less than others I have read.
Good luck to everyone!
Dave

Hi,

I think this question is probably better answered by one of our resident dentists, but wanted to let you know your post was not going unread.

I, too, am a migraine sufferer, and I know how absolutely wearing it is when you have a headache that just won't quit. I'm sorry you're going through that, and I hope you get some relief soon!

[smiley=hugging.gif]
 
Hi Dave your pain is no less or more important than anybody else's. There is a dentist on board that does really well at getting around and answering as many questions as he can, he has just been made a super mod on here, so it could be that he has been a bit tied up. There are also a couple of others that give their time as well so, sometimes it just takes them a while to get around.

I hope you are getting less pain than you were but unfortunatly these things can take time which can be a bit disappointing when we have been and had treatment.

If you are still really worried contact you dentist and explain just how bad it is there might be something else wrong or he could just be right in what he said to you. You could always get a second opinion if you suspect your dentist is wrong.

I don't know enough about tablets to suggest anything. Do you clench your teeth together at night because this can cause headache, if you do your dentist can help with this in the form of a mouth guard.

I hope you get pain free soon. I hope you will be good enough to let us know how you get on in this matter. :cool:
 
First off, I would like to thank Carole and Jaylah for their kind words and information. I do have another appointment with the surgeon this Thursday and I will be addressing it, if it hasn't gone away.

Thank you,
Dave
 
I am unable to say exactly what the problem might be but it is possible that the pain could be related to your jaw joint as it is under stress during a lower molar extraction. You might want to see a dentist with experiuence in treating TMJ pain for evaluation if this persists.
 
Good Morning,
Again, I would like to thank everyone for their input and sympathy and a special thanks to all the dentist involved for their time and knowledge provided. I am extremely happy to say that this morning I awoke with no headache and the ear ache I believe has also gone away.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Dave:)
 
You are welcome, I am glad to hear that you have finally got rid of that headache. [smiley=jumping.gif][smiley=jumping.gif][smiley=jumping.gif] Good news. [smiley=jumping.gif]

Good luck with your appointment on Thursday.
 
Back
Top