• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Health conditions related to irreversible pulpitis or is there a way to prevent it?

K

Kns

I know that good oral habits, nutrition, and dental care obviously help control dental disease and, in general, the need for extensive treatment. But is there anything that can make someone more prone to irreversible pulpitis and the need for root canals? I try to take really good care of my teeth and have always had regular dental care. But during the past couple of years my luck has gone south and everything from very small fillings to replacing old fillings to crown prep has resulted in irreversible pulpitis for me, a lot of pain, and root canals. Literally every time my dentist has done anything to my teeth in the past year or two, I have ended up needing a root canal. Is there any underlying conditions that could predispose someone’s nerves to not handle even tiny fillings? Is there anything that can help settle a tooth after treatment and prevent the need for a root canal or am I just unlucky (and now broke, haha)? I can’t take NSAIDS like ibuprofen due to an allergic reaction, so I have wondered if not being able to help settle the inflammation with a medication is part of the problem. But I’m not sure that would make a difference?

Thanks Gordon! That makes sense, as we’ve had similar journeys.

Back