B
bonnie2go2000
Member
- Joined
- Aug 23, 2007
- Messages
- 21
Hi all!This is my first posting after avidly reading everyone else's.
I finally did it yesterday!After 30+ years of ignoring the fact that dentists actually exist,I looked in the mirror and decided enough was enough!After getting over some personal issues a few years ago which resulted in me being sick all the time,I realised that the damage it had done to my front teeth had to be faced.
I don't know what it's like for everyone else but here in the UK,it's hard enough to find a dentist let alone make an appointment.Anyway,after much trawling through the phone book,I found one,gritted what's left of my teeth and joined the practice.My first appointment is 4 weeks away and I'm a quivering wreck
.I refuse to give in to the urge to cancel so please wish me luck!And to anyone else considering making that first step,do it!!If I can(and I'm the biggest wuss there is!)then anyone can xx
I finally did it yesterday!After 30+ years of ignoring the fact that dentists actually exist,I looked in the mirror and decided enough was enough!After getting over some personal issues a few years ago which resulted in me being sick all the time,I realised that the damage it had done to my front teeth had to be faced.
I don't know what it's like for everyone else but here in the UK,it's hard enough to find a dentist let alone make an appointment.Anyway,after much trawling through the phone book,I found one,gritted what's left of my teeth and joined the practice.My first appointment is 4 weeks away and I'm a quivering wreck
.I refuse to give in to the urge to cancel so please wish me luck!And to anyone else considering making that first step,do it!!If I can(and I'm the biggest wuss there is!)then anyone can xx![Group Hug [smiley=grouphug.gif] [smiley=grouphug.gif]](/forum/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/dfcsmilies/grouphug.gif)
Good luck we're all in the same boat.Wonderful support group
. You've come to the right place because there are so many of us with such similar stories to yours. Good for you for making that first appt and though 4 weeks may seem a long time and you'll be tempted to cancel, it will go quicky and you know that you mustn't cancel because it will be all the harder to make another one. I felt just like that, made the appointment then scared to go and find out what needed doing, but as so many have said, and its so true, your imagination makes things much worse than the reality. Dentists have changed so much, no dental smell, no hostility and impatience from the dentist. I don't know what part of the UK you're in, and hope you've found the right dentist. I'm in Wales, but actually chose to go up to London and so pleased with my decision. You'll know if your dentist is the right one for you, and if you feel at all uncomfortable in any way, then I advise you to look around. I have nearly finished my dental journey and though common sense had the battle with my terror that I must keep going, I am convinced that it was only through posting my fears and reading everyone elses stories, and getting their support that I was actually able to see it through. You will too. As dental phobics know, after years of not even being able to talk about teeth or dentists once you've found this site, it is so easy and such a relief to unburden yourself, to find people who share the same fears. In fact, I think so many of us have gone completely the other way from being unable to talk about teeth to being quite obsessive. Anyhow, welcome again to this site, and look forward to reading your future postings as you progress through your dental journey. ![Hugging [smiley=hugging.gif] [smiley=hugging.gif]](/forum/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/dfcsmilies/hugging.gif)