• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hello - Just need a little support and input ...

W

Worried Mom

Hi there! First let me say I am so happy to have found this site. Here is my story - I raised 2 kids on my own and all the money I had for tooth care went for them. I severely neglected my own mouth. There is also a history of soft or brittle teeth in my family and as you might imagine now that my kids are grown and I am getting older my mouth is in bad shape. I have never really been afraid of the dentist (the pain or anything). several years back I decided to go in after a couple of my teeth that had root canals (when I was in my 20s) broke and I also had a molar that was giving me pain. I went in (it was actually a dentist that had treated my children for many years ) feeling comfortable knowing this man was a good dentist. I have always had crowding among other problems and when he looked in my mouth he said "No way am I putting my hands in there." i was horrified - it was SO embarrassing. BTW - he did not recognize me from before. he had x-rays taken and ordered for some of the teeth to be pulled and also fro a cleaning (I believe it is called a debridement or something like that?) Anyway, the whole time the very nice woman was doing that tears were streaming down my face - she thought she was hurting me but it wasn't - I was absolutely embarrassed and could not wait to get out of there. I did not go back ... now fast forward and I have to get dentures and I am so afraid the dentist is going to make me feel like I am the "unclean" or something again - it was really awful :shame:

Hi there! First let me say I am so happy to have found this site. Here is my story - I raised 2 kids on my own and all the money I had for tooth care went for them. I severely neglected my own mouth. There is also a history of soft or brittle teeth in my family and as you might imagine now that my kids are grown and I am getting older my mouth is in bad shape. I have never really been afraid of the dentist (the pain or anything). several years back I decided to go in after a couple of my teeth that had root canals (when I was in my 20s) broke and I also had a molar that was giving me pain. I went in (it was actually a dentist that had treated my children for many years ) feeling comfortable knowing this man was a good dentist. I have always had crowding among other problems and when he looked in my mouth he said "No way am I putting my hands in there." i was horrified - it was SO embarrassing. BTW - he did not recognize me from before. he had x-rays taken and ordered for some of the teeth to be pulled and also fro a cleaning (I believe it is called a debridement or something like that?) Anyway, the whole time the very nice woman was doing that tears were streaming down my face - she thought she was hurting me but it wasn't - I was absolutely embarrassed and could not wait to get out of there. I did not go back ... now fast forward and I have to get dentures and I am so afraid the dentist is going to make me feel like I am the "unclean" or something again - it was really awful :shame:

Hi Worried Mom! It's always good to get some support from this forum when we really need it. What happened to you was totally not acceptable, but you already know this. This behavior is very shocking to me :(, I mean a dentist makes his living from working on teeth that need attention. If everyone had perfect teeth, he wouldn't have much of a job, surely? I hope you can gather the courage to eventually see another dentist that will treat you with the respect you deserve. Remember, dentists are providing a service, and you don't need to stick around with someone that treats patients in the way this dentist did. Do you know for sure you need dentures? I would always suggest getting a second and even a third opinion, because some dentists are much more for trying to save whatever teeth they can. I hope you recover from this, and start to feel hopeful that there is a dentist out there for you! Do you have any friends or family you can ask for recommendations for dentists? I have a wonderful dentist now that my aunt has attended for nearly thirty years, so ask around! :thumbsup:

Thank you! Good advice - yes I am 100 percent certain I will need dentures - My teeth have shifted all over and some are falling out and some already have ... :cool: I just want to feel comfortable smiling again

Thank you! Good advice - yes I am 100 percent certain I will need dentures - My teeth have shifted all over and some are falling out and some already have ... :cool: I just want to feel comfortable smiling again

That's the goal for yourself, to feel comfortable, and that's good to have in your mind so that it keeps you motivated. I was told last year at 18 by my last dentist that all my teeth were falling out and I would need dentures or I would have to pay £2,000 per tooth for implants. This was after he had done several fillings, root canals and extractions. I went to another dentist, who told me this was nonsense and my teeth just needed some (a lot! :o) more fillings, fillings redone that had been done incorrectly, and a clean. I mean, if dentures is something you feel you would want, that's totally okay, but as I said before make sure you try to get another opinion. Even teeth that we think are unsaveable can be fixed. Again though, if dentures are your choice, there's nothing wrong with that. I hope you can smile again and be proud to! :)

Back