• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hello

M

Miss whiplash

Hi all, thanks for letting me join. I have a crippling fear of dentists! I had terrible experiences when I was younger, my dentist was an awful man and in those days I was sedated when I needed an extraction. I managed fillings OK. I have been a couple of times over the years but haven't been now for about 14 years. I've never been able to smile showing my teeth and I am now 50. I really need help and Im thinking about this constantly. I would love to be able to smile, not put off doing things or seeing people as I'm so embarrassed. My fear is very specific and not the 'norm' and I doubt there will be anyone else here who has the same phobia. I am scared of my own blood, if I bleed I think I will die. It stems from age 6 and so I've lived with this my whole life. I developed mental health problems around 15 years ago and so this is now much worse and now I'm scared of lots more and also like to be in control so I don't think I could even do sedation now. Can anyone relate? My teeth are broken, discoloured and loose ?. Thankyou for reading my very long post x

Hi Miss whiplash:welcome:,

if you have a fear of dentists, you definitely arrived at the right place here! You may have taken a look around here already and found some advice about how to tackle the fear. The first steps are usually the most difficult ones, but as you are here now, it looks like you just started your journey :)
You are right that your fear is maybe the typical thing that people fear when it comes to dental treatment, but it's not too unusual either. I was wondering whether you have this fear also when you see blood (not your own)? And what exactly triggers it - is it purely the sight or something else? And also, is this the only thing that you fear when it comes to dental treatment?

Knowing your fears is a great start to overcoming them, or at least to find a way to work around them so that you can get the treatment you need. Rest assured that it's never to late to start and I am sure you will be able to smile, see people and feel comfortable about yourself once you started to look at ways to overcome your fear.
If you wish to gain some courage and inspiration, we have a lot of success stories here on the page.

All the best wishes

Hi Miss whiplash:welcome:,

if you have a fear of dentists, you definitely arrived at the right place here! You may have taken a look around here already and found some advice about how to tackle the fear. The first steps are usually the most difficult ones, but as you are here now, it looks like you just started your journey :)
You are right that your fear is maybe the typical thing that people fear when it comes to dental treatment, but it's not too unusual either. I was wondering whether you have this fear also when you see blood (not your own)? And what exactly triggers it - is it purely the sight or something else? And also, is this the only thing that you fear when it comes to dental treatment?

Knowing your fears is a great start to overcoming them, or at least to find a way to work around them so that you can get the treatment you need. Rest assured that it's never to late to start and I am sure you will be able to smile, see people and feel comfortable about yourself once you started to look at ways to overcome your fear.
If you wish to gain some courage and inspiration, we have a lot of success stories here on the page.

All the best wishes
Thankyou so much. I do believe this is the start of my journey this time. I'm fed up of not wanting to see or speak to people, hiding my mouth etc. I have continued to work throughout the pandemic and being able to wear a mask has enabled me to not worry and for the first time in my life I've been able to properly smile and no one could see ?. I think this has urged me to do something as well as I'm now terrified of losing the mask! Also I feel that I might be more noticed by my hubby. My middle child is getting married in February 2022 and it would be so nice for that also. When I was 6 I had a very traumatic time at a dentist and there was blood, I also fell on a fence around that time and there was blood so I think it stems from that. I can cope with a normal amount of pain like most people as long as there isn't any blood. Over the years other traumatic events have happened in my life and this has now led me to have GAD and PTSD. Other people's blood never bothered me, it was just mine, however when I developed GAD that fear expanded to other people's blood as well. As time has gone on I have become much better and its just my blood again now - small mercies. My dental phobia is a buggy but my absolute phobia of all time tgat I think I will never lose is nose bleeds. Its worse as you can see where its coming from and so apply pressure to that spot, plus it goes down your throat as well ?. Just writing that is causing me so much anxiety and I just have to remind myself that just because I'm writing it doesn't mean it's going to happen! Sorry for the long post. Thanks again.

Hello!! I completely understand where you are. Im 44 and struggling to start my journey as well. I did email a dentist today, so thats a start. (I haven't been to one in 10+ years) I came here and spent days reading posts and personal journeys etc.. they helped so much more than I'd have ever thought. There are some amazing people here. Im still very afraid, super anxious and terrified. Your here, and that is an amazing step!! I hope you can find things to help you along the way. Good luck to us all!!

Hello!! I completely understand where you are. Im 44 and struggling to start my journey as well. I did email a dentist today, so thats a start. (I haven't been to one in 10+ years) I came here and spent days reading posts and personal journeys etc.. they helped so much more than I'd have ever thought. There are some amazing people here. Im still very afraid, super anxious and terrified. Your here, and that is an amazing step!! I hope you can find things to help you along the way. Good luck to us all!!
Thankyou for your reply. I kniw I'm not alone but you do feel so alone don't you as we are the ones who have to do this, no one can do it for us. Wouldn't that be wonderful..... 'just take these and nip the dentists and get them fixed for me' lol. We are here and looking into things, that's a start. You gave gone a step further, the email, well done that's a positive. I've looked up dentists online in my area for nervous clients and seen who dies sedation, just in case lol. The other thing is I have no money and I know it's expensive ?. Perhaps it will help me to have people on here to talk to like this ?

Thankyou for your reply. I kniw I'm not alone but you do feel so alone don't you as we are the ones who have to do this, no one can do it for us. Wouldn't that be wonderful..... 'just take these and nip the dentists and get them fixed for me' lol. We are here and looking into things, that's a start. You gave gone a step further, the email, well done that's a positive. I've looked up dentists online in my area for nervous clients and seen who dies sedation, just in case lol. The other thing is I have no money and I know it's expensive ?. Perhaps it will help me to have people on here to talk to like this ?
LOL that would be amazing!! Haha you made me laugh for the first time in days. Being here is definitely a great start! Your looking up dentists and THAT is a truly amazing step! Get that research!! ? I completely understand the money aspect, I have worries there too as I am not working atm.. but we have good dental insurance, thank heavens, and hubs is super supportive. I do hope it helps you, and me as well! ??

Back