• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

HELP 2 different dentists two different opinions don't know what to do!

H

had-enough

hey,

so here it goes i have finally plucked up the courage to see a dentist.. not just one but two different dentists at two different surgeries. (only down to the fact i didnt think the first dentist cared about how i felt as there was no time for questions etc)

My first visit the dentist recommended removing all of my back teeth and crowning the remaining front teeth with partials for back teeth.

My second dentist said he can fix the front teeth and a couple at the back but advises just to pull them all to save any future problems and "cut out the middle man" as he put it! He actually said he could save them but didnt want to!!!

so as you can imagine i have no idea what to do now. My head is saying fix all possible teeth for as long as possible considering i am only 26 but depression is setting in once again and now i feel like im being pushed into something Im not happy with.Yes my teeth are in a terrible way but if the dentist CAN fix some surely he should instead of talking me into full dentures???

Im starting to think he's trying to take the easy way out with being on the NHS but are they allowed to do this?

Also im saving for dental implants which iv worked out i can have cash money in two years time so should i discuss this with my dentist and ask what they can do to get me through the next two years??

anyways sorry for rambling and if i dont make much sense head is spinning at the thought of full dentures but i cant go on like this!!

thanks for any replies xx

at 26 with teeth that can be saved I would refuse to take them out.

A denture on a young person is a future disaster!

Save what can be saved. You don't want a full denture unless you can possibly avoid it. If you weren't happy with the first dentist and didn't like what the second one suggested you should keep searching until you find one you're comfortable with and whose suggestion is in sync with your own wishes. Save your teeth for now because they're inventing new amazing things all the time and fixing them will just get easier an easier (I hope?)

Thanks for replying I definitely want to save what I can and the second dentist said he will but obviously doesnt want too grr.

anyway hes booked me in for 2 x cleaning sessions with the hygienist and reffered me to the hospital for the really bad ones out which is fair enough.

what happens at a cleaning? Im worried incase it damages my front teeth any further or they just fall out during the cleaning then the dentist will have his wish lol dramatic I know but im 100% petrified about the journey I have ahead of me

I hope they invent some crazy way to grow new teeth ha xx

A cleaning is fairly non invasive. They get all the plaque off. It doesn't hurt but can be a bit sensitive. If the teeth were going to fall out during a cleaning they wouldn't have said they could be saved. Don't be petrified. Nothing hurts anymore.

I was born in Newcastle... Lived there till I was 3.

Its rather harder than you would expect to get a tooth to just fall out. I just had all mine pulled and not a one of them was obliging enough to just fall out.
That would've been a lot cheaper. You'll have teeth you don't recognize after a good cleaning, and they will all still be in your head.

Hi don't under any circumstances let them take your teeth out that can be saved and also get a second opinion about the ones that he has referred to have extracted. Ask at the hospital when you see the dentist there if they think the teeth that are to be removed could be saved.

Just because you are having nhs treatment it doesn't mean you have to do as you are told if you are not happy with their advice. Which in the case of the second dentist is bad advice.

Get another dentist and another until you find a dentist that will listen to your concerns and discuss what you would like to do. Please keep as many of your own teeth as you can for as long as you can, don't be fobbed of or feel you have to have any treatment to please them.

A dentist that can't be bothered to save teeth when possible isn't worth having.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: let us know how you get on please :butterfly:

Back