• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help - 7 yr old terrified of dentist but has on-going abscess

F

friendlylady

My 7 year daughter has a major fear of the dentist, but has an ongoing abscess which she has had antibiotics for. I am aware that this is not going to resolve itself and when I mentioned it to the dentist, she simply said she would need a referral to the community dentist team for extraction. Unfortunately my daughter overheard this and as expected, freaked! I am at a complete loss what to do. If I even mention dentist to her she starts crying, how I would even get her to the community team doesn't bear thinking about, let alone extraction!!

My 7 year daughter has a major fear of the dentist, but has an ongoing abscess which she has had antibiotics for. I am aware that this is not going to resolve itself and when I mentioned it to the dentist, she simply said she would need a referral to the community dentist team for extraction. Unfortunately my daughter overheard this and as expected, freaked! I am at a complete loss what to do. If I even mention dentist to her she starts crying, how I would even get her to the community team doesn't bear thinking about, let alone extraction!!

Are you in the UK? I'm guessing so. I would suggest you ask for the referral to be made and then sit back and relax. The CDS is very experienced at dealing with anxiety/phobia/difficult cases. It is perfectly possible that they would be able to even offer a GA if necessary to provide her with a non-traumatic experience.
However provided they can numb her tooth comfortably (which at CDS they should be able to do), you will be amazed how a different approach from someone trained in relating to kids, can work wonders.
I'm sure she will be fine once you get her to someone who can help. The dentist she is seeing now should in theory be able to treat her but they must be taking the view she needs GA or they are not confident on their ability to give her a good experience. In both these situations it is better that she sees someone else who is equipt to help her appropriately. Someone who will lessen her fear rather than increase it.
At age 7, she can be reasoned with and simply needs to trust the person helping her. It is best that you say as little as possible and leave the talking to the specially trained CDS dentist.
Good luck.

Just as well as the dentist can help phobias you can too.
Dont down play it, many parents think if they act like it's no big deal so will their kids. Talk to her, ask her what it is that scares her about it and ask her if there is something you can do to make it easier for her. If she has a comfort item (a special teddy or something) let her bring it.

And most of all when she does a good job in the chair praise her!! Take her out for icecream afterwards or something (dont bribe her though), let her know she did an awesome job and she will realize how it was no big deal and feel better about going in the future.

These are just some of the things that may have helped me when I was young going to the dentist, unfortunatley my father is a mans man and down plays everything, and it did me no good.

Back