• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help Panicking and Nervous about Teeth Cleaning (ULTRASONIC)

If you need anesthetic injections, insist on it! Don't let them do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable. Two of my bottom front teeth still have tartar because no dentist was in the office to numb me when I had my teeth cleaned last month. Those two need the ultrasonic and the hygienist didn't want to hurt me. She even let me swish and spit because the water hose hurts. I could call and schedule an appointment any time a dentist is in the office to get these two teeth done. That's how it should be. Don't be afraid to insist on injections. Your physical and mental comfort is the only thing that matters. ?

Hi LilyFlower! Im not quite sure what to do! :( I have a lot of tartar and plaque on my bottom row teeth and im aftaid of pain as well! i was thinking of using topical gel all over my gums and then getting a shot of lidocaine to my gums. But idk how that reaction would work and if there is any side effects. Have you done something like this?

Last edited:
Hi lilyrose! Im not quite sure what to do! :( I have a lot of tartar and plaque on my bottom row teeth and im aftaid of pain as well! i was thinking of using topical gel all over my gums and then getting a shot of lidocaine to my gums. But idk how that reaction would work and if there is any side effects. Have you done something like this?

I had my teeth cleaned with the ultrasonic 10 years ago. They were less sensitive than they are now and it was uncomfortable. The numbing gel didn't help so when I went back for the second cleaning I had them numb my mouth. So nowadays, I will not let a dentist spray my teeth if they're not numb. Otherwise, I'm fine to let hygienists manually scrape my teeth without any anesthetic whatsoever as long as they let me swish and spit.

Injections are normally are very safe with no side effects. I have hypertension and tachycardia and they still haven't hurt me lol. You'll be fine if you go that route. They take some getting used to but you'll quickly adjust. The injections usually don't hurt and you get used to the weirdness of your mouth being numb. Try the numbing gel and see how you do. If it's still uncomfortable they can give you injections. The cleaning itself isn't really that bad. You'll feel so much better after it's done and every cleaning after it will be a breeze.

I had my teeth cleaned with the ultrasonic 10 years ago. They were less sensitive than they are now and it was uncomfortable. The numbing gel didn't help so when I went back for the second cleaning I had them numb my mouth. So nowadays, I will not let a dentist spray my teeth if they're not numb. Otherwise, I'm fine to let hygienists manually scrape my teeth without any anesthetic whatsoever as long as they let me swish and spit.

Injections are normally are very safe with no side effects. I have hypertension and tachycardia and they still haven't hurt me lol. You'll be fine if you go that route. They take some getting used to but you'll quickly adjust. The injections usually don't hurt and you get used to the weirdness of your mouth being numb. Try the numbing gel and see how you do. If it's still uncomfortable they can give you injections. The cleaning itself isn't really that bad. You'll feel so much better after it's done and every cleaning after it will be a breeze.

Thats awesome to know! My biggest fear is pain. Not the injection. Its more or the cleaning its self. I have a lot of plaque and tartar on my front bottom teeth.

https://ibb.co/h0AyYk

As you can see with anxiety and depression and not being able to afford dental care i let my teeth go! Sry if it grosses you out :(

I read in so many places that having tartar removed is super painful and agonzing. So the less the pain the better. Really want to get numbed up good so i dont feel a thing with a few light pricks here and there. Hopefully they can numb me up then inject me.

No worries, it's not that bad and will come right off. You'll feel so much better when it does. So if your anxiety starts to get the better of you, keep that in mind. Your mouth will feel very healthy which will relieve a lot of your anxiety. Cleanings aren't really painful. But if your teeth and gums are sensitive, it can be uncomfortable. They're not going to hurt you and will make sure you're comfortable. So don't worry about that. Just be sure to ask them for whatever you need to stay comfortable while they do it and trust that everything will be ok. ?

No worries, it's not that bad and will come right off. You'll feel so much better when it does. So if your anxiety starts to get the better of you, keep that in mind. Your mouth will feel very healthy which will relieve a lot of your anxiety. Cleanings aren't really painful. But if your teeth and gums are sensitive, it can be uncomfortable. They're not going to hurt you and will make sure you're comfortable. So don't worry about that. Just be sure to ask them for whatever you need to stay comfortable while they do it and trust that everything will be ok. ?

Awesome and you are right!! I shouldnt let my anixety get the best of me. Just really nervous thats all and i think i will go numb for sure! Thanks again for the quick reply lilyflower! U are helping me ease my anxiety! :)

Back