• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help please - massively swollen cheek

F

flutterbyukYJRx

Hi all

First post here.

I have for past 2 days had a massively swollen left cheek. I have been to local out of hours doctor who said it is dental issue not medical. Possible absess?

I do not have a dentist. I have not been for over 10 years (due to a traumatic incident that occured at dentist). I have lost several teeth since.

I am very very scared about what to do.

I am waiting for the local dentists to open to try and make an emergency appointment but I don't know how I will be able to explain myself to the dentist.

Any advice?

Thanks

Hi flutterby :welcome:,

I'm so sorry to hear that you had such an awful experience in the past :shame:.

I don't know if you've already had your emergency appointment or not yet - but just tell the dentist what you have told us here - that you've had a very bad experience at the dentist over 10 years ago and that you haven't been back since due to fear, and that you've lost several teeth in the meantime.

If the dentist you meet for the emergency appointment isn't gentle, understanding and kind, or if you don't feel comfortable with them for whatever reason, do search for somebody else (you may be able to ask friends, colleagues, acquaintances, or family for recommendations, or ask a close friend to ask around on your behalf for a dentist who is great with people who are terrified of dentists).

You may be given antibiotics today to bring the infection under control, but everything else is up to you - if you are to frightened to sit in "the chair", say so! You cannot be forced into anything that you don't want to do.

The right dentist for you is out there :). Please do let us know how you get on today.

thank you for your kind reply.

I couldn't get appt for today so have to wait til midday tomorrow. I will do as you say and hopefully it won't be so bad.

I have also registered with local dentist who is taking on NHS patients and have appt there in 10 days time.

x

Many thanks for the update :) - wishing you all the best for tomorrow :XXLhug:!!

If you like, you could check out some of the dental practices in your area by just going in pretending to ask for an information leaflet/price list - this can be a great way of getting a general "feel" for a place. You will likely find enormous differences between different practices. If this is too spooky, you might want to bring along a friend, or ask a friend to do the looking around for you.

The best way to find a gentle caring dentist who is good with people who are terrified is by getting personal recommendations from people you know, but you can also do Google searches nowadays for reviews of dentists in your area.

I do hope that you will strike gold first time round though :thumbsup: (but if not, there's plenty of fish aka dentists in the sea!)

I'm back from my emergency appt, and it wasn't too scary!

It was kinda rushed but he let me speak and then very quickly examined me and gave me prescription for antibiotics, which should kick in within 2 days. It's an abscess.

So pleased I had courage to go

x

Well done - congratulations :cheers:!!

I hope the antibiotics will kick in soon :XXLhug:

Back