• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help with unusual extraction

S

samys

I am concerned. I have a tooth, tooth #4, that had a root canal many years ago. The tooth is broken at the gum line and some of the root canal work has fallen out. The tooth is now somewhat hollowed inside. Its not infected but I know it needs to come out. I don't have dental insurance and am concerned that because of the nature of the tooth that it may be beyond a simple extraction. I assume its brittle and will break as its taken out. Anyone ever have a problem like this? Is this considered a simple extraction?

It depends. Sometimes you can get an instrument alongside the root and it slides right out. Other times a hand piece is necessary to take away some bone. Every tooth is different.

I am concerned. I have a tooth, tooth #4, that had a root canal many years ago. The tooth is broken at the gum line and some of the root canal work has fallen out. The tooth is now somewhat hollowed inside. Its not infected but I know it needs to come out. I don't have dental insurance and am concerned that because of the nature of the tooth that it may be beyond a simple extraction. I assume its brittle and will break as its taken out. Anyone ever have a problem like this? Is this considered a simple extraction?

This is generally not a very difficult extraction for an experienced dentist with the right instruments.

Hi,

I just had an old root canal tooth taken out two weeks ago. It took about 20 minutes and I didn't feel any pain at all. :) Mine was called a surgical extraction but no incision was made. I was so scared but honestly in the future if I ever need an extraction again I will not worry about it. :)

Take care,
Mich

Thank you for the replies!
I wanted to write an update to my post in case someone in the future searches for this exact same problem.

I went to the dentist and had tooth #4 removed. I went to a regular dentist, not an oral surgeon. I was very nervous. I thought for certain the tooth would break or that the gum would have to be cut. I was also concerned that this would be beyond a simple extraction and require surgery. But, the dentist was confident he could get it out and it did in fact come out without any issue in less then two minutes. It happened so fast, I didn’t even realize it was out.

So I guess even if your tooth is broken, brittle from an old root canal and hollowed out, it can be removed in a dentists office without issue. I go back soon to get fitted for a bridge. I think the expense of the bridge will be more painful then the tooth extraction!

Back