• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

hopefully (probably) mandibular turis?

S

SC86

:cry:
Just today, I was looking in my mouth & although I have always felt it before, I never really thought about it, I always just thought I have odd shaped gums/bone.
Under my tounge, on the wall of my gums (or bone) is a protrusion about the size of an large pea, though not round (it's long, more like the shape of a small lower front tooth). It is right under where my "fang teeth" are.
It feals natural to me (doesn't hurt, isn't raw, isn't bumpy textured, isn't anything obvious...other than hard like bone), except that the other side doesn't have the same thing so IM TERRIFIED that it could be cancer. However, could it simply be a tooth that never had anywhere to grow? My front bottom teeth are VERY crouded & overlap each other. Or could it be a calcium deposite or something not deadly like cancer?
Also, If it is ANY of those things, what could/would a dentist do about it? I'm so terrified, I don't know how I'm going to allow him to look in my mouth. I just feel like vanishing...I'm so terrified. I don't even know If I can go now...

Re: found something terrifying...please respond

From your description, it sounds as if it's just bone (a torus or similar). This is fairly common and usually nothing needs to be done about it. Obviously, it's not possible to give a "diagnosis" over the internet without even having a photo, but this would be my best guess :). Do you have a photo?

I can probably take a digital photo later ... I'll have to have my boyfriend find the digital camera though.
You know, I posted a simular question on a diffrent message board and they said the same thing. I've never heard of this before, but it makes me feel SOOO much better to hear about it. I'm sure that it is what I have in my mouth because I believe it has always been there. :XXLhug: thanks so much, I'm pretty sure I can go through with it now

Glad to hear you're feeling better about things :)! Let us know how you get on!

Back