• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hopefully the beginning.

S

shannysue

I made the dentist appointment last week for tomorrow. At this point I just want to find somewhere that accepts my insurance and won't cost me a fortune. I need all upper and lower teeth extracted. At 25 years old I feel very ashamed of this. Ever since I can remember I've had bad teeth. I'm tired of infection after infection. I'm tired of people thinking I'm a meth head because my teeth are beyond saving. I want to smile. I want to eat good food instead of mush. I'm so stressed over this appointment tomorrow. I just want the dentist to be a nice person that won't judge me. I'm a good person, a hard worker and I do a lot to take care of those dear to me. Please let this be it! I'm so happy I found this forum. I'm glad I'm not the only one that is or has gone through this. I'm just really scared and in dire need of encouragement.

Last edited:
Hi Shannysue

:welcome: to the forum!

Firstly well done you for making your first appointment ; in a lot of ways that's the most difficult step, what you are doing takes real courage; much respect! :respect::respect:

A good dentist will not be judgmental, nowadays there are lots of good ones about who just want to help us to get sorted; just remember that you are the customer ;), a good dentist will work out a treatment plan in partnership with you and one that moves at your pace. The great news is that dentistry has advanced to the point where pretty much every thing can be done in a pain free way.

Good luck with your appointment and please keep us posted.

Kind Regards

Hey Shannysue, and welcome :)

I can totally relate to how you're feeling about your teeth and about your dental appointment. Firstly, well done for booking it! It takes a lot of courage to phone up somewhere new, especially when you're so afraid of being judged, and you should be proud of yourself for that. Hopefully it will be of some comfort to know that dentists nowadays tend to be a lot more supportive and kind than those nasty days of old. Instead of giving a lecture and making us feel absolute rubbish, this new modern take within dentistry tends to be about simply trying to help. I really, sincerely hope that this upcoming appointment proves to be just that.

It's also important to remember that you are the one in charge. If there's something you don't like, or don't want to do, or you feel uncomfortable, or you need more answers... YOU are in control.

I'll be thinking of you. Please let us know how it goes.

Take care

Lost :)

The appointment is coming up here in a couple hours. I'm so thankful for both your words of encouragement. I'll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck!

Sending last minute good wishes and good luck! You are taking a huge step and should feel very proud of yourself!

I hope everything goes well for you! It's so hard to feel ashamed. I'm a person who also takes care of a lot of people, and the worst feeling is one of judgment from people who don't know us.

My dental appointment for a consultation is Thursday. I know the terror involved, but I bet you will feel a lot better to finally get the ball rolling. Looking forward to seeing how you do <3

After all the anxiety and working up to the appointment I showed up only to be 1 week early:o Another week of stressing out about this all over again. I was hoping for it to be all said and done with a plan in hand. I guess this is to be continued. :cry: I feel so stupid. I will be paying attention to my calendar now. Lesson learned.

I just have to get through tomorrow and my shift on Tuesday and then the appointment. My teeth are getting worse by the day. My confidence is gone and I just want to feel better. I'm pretty self conscious about my appearance and meeting with all of my family on Thursday is really stressing me out. What's stressing me out more is the idea of breaking my front bottom teeth before then. I'm a leader at work, a coach to all ages of women for roller derby and I know these ladies look up to me, depend on me to teach them, encourage the em, educate them. I want to be my best for them with no set backs. I want to be my best for me. I've been stuck for awhile now because of my teeth. I'm stuck at a job that over works and under pays. Stuck in a 1 bedroom apartment in one of the worst places in town. I just feel like once I get through the full shebang I can move on to better things or at least have the confidence to try. Feeling pretty down right now

Back