• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Horse kicked my front teeth out

S

Smartiemeg

Just short of 15yrs ago I was a professional equine eventing groom, working for a top event rider rider we were both highly trained and skilled in our profession,...when in a split second a horse box ramp on a neighbouring horse box fell unexpectedly and the young horse I was dealing with and putting studds in for - reacted and kicked out at the noise, luckily I drew myself inwards towards the horse so as not to get the full force and impact of an out stretched kick but still he chaught the right side of my face! I was actually very lucky it was (just my teeth) not my check bone, or jaw.I received 15 stitches on the inside of my mouth and surgery to remove a shattered front tooth and another half tooth extraction that was wedged under my nose for want of a better explanation (dentists and doctors input welcomed) I ended up with barely any gum and bone left over where my original front teeth used to be and had to get plastic surgery to repair my lip (they did an amazing job in Bradford maxifacial btw) because of the lack of hun and bone screw inns aren't/weren't an option for me really unless I underwent bone and skin grafts to reconstruct that area. So I opted to go down the less invasive route and went with a bridge. I find this comfortable and it works for me it's a permanent one but with that it has it's hygiene problems and I feel the more I brush and use products like mouthwash etc ... The more it brakes down the cement and the more frequent it is that my bridge become loose and needs cementing again, for this whole experience I've just explained .....is the reason I'm on this site!

Last edited:
Hi, just wanted to say be patient, someone will answer you! The board's often not very busy.

Hi, I haven't quite figured out what the question is - is it about how to keep the area around the bridge clean without the cement breaking down? What sort of a bridge is it?

yes

thank you

Get a bone graft and implant if you can. Its not invasive, but it is time consuming. I am trying to grow bone and biggest annoyance is patience. Many times I dream if I got a bridge, I wouldnt have to go through this healing soft food diet. Eating pizza like in baby bites w fork and spoon is the current good life. I miss nachos! Thanks for sharing your perspective with a bridge.

I think your really brave and committed I'm not sure I've put the trauma aside enough to go through with more surgery now, and being involved with horses still t least if I get another knock to the face they just pop out and all that's needed is some cement to secure again, not ideal but it's the most I can hope to settle for atm, it's good to hear that you haven't found the procedure to invasive tho, all these things I constantly bare in mind, good luck with your growth.

Back