• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Kicked off NHS dentist, strong pain when lying down

B

BensonBooga

I have a broken tooth, no pain when upright but severe soreness and aching in that area and jaw when lying down. Pain killers dont help. But oddly it doesn't happen every time I lie down, just 7 out of 10 nights. I find it odd how pain killers don't help at all, even 2 ibuprofen and 2 paracetamol at same time. But as soon as I sit up the pain eases and within 10 mins is gone until I lie down again.

I am embarrassed about going to a dentist as I am 33 stone, I will likely get turned away. I hadn't gone to my previous NHS dentist in 3 years so just found I have been removed.

Any ideas why it goes from no pain to agony when lying down ? Any suggestions about dental treatment at my size ? I am male and 6ft 2' tall and 43 years of age. Dorset, UK.

Thanks all !!

Hi, you'll most likely need a referral to the community dental service because of the weight issue. The added bonus is that they also cater to those with a dental phobia! Almost all dental chairs in the UK are rated to less than 25 stone, but the community dental service will likely be able to arrange something. See this thread (albeit from 2009) for some further info:

In many parts of the UK, the referral can be done through your GP or other healthcare professionals - this varies hugely from area to area. Here is the info for Dorset:

Maybe you could get in touch with them and see what they recommend you do?

Re. the pain increasing when lying down, I've heard that this happens because the nerve and pulp chamber gets filled with fluid and blood when lying down, causing a throbbing pain. Maybe try sleeping in a slightly elevated position when it happens! You might also want to ask your GP to test you for sleep apnea if this hasn't already been assessed (it's very very common when you're quite overweight).

Hope you will find some relief soon :grouphug:

Back