• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How do dentists extract molars with very twisty roots?

M

MountainMama

I know there have to be methods that can be applied.

Today, I got an implant put in for my lower first molar. Both the periodontist who placed the implant and his assistant commented on the roots on the 2nd molar next to it when they took an x ray to check the implant. The periodontist said, “I hope I never have to extract that tooth!” Then the assistant said the roots were extremely curvy.
My new dentist said that tooth has a deep filling and it may be problematic in the future.
Brief history on that tooth...in my early 20’s I broke the tooth above it and the dentist I saw put a very poor fitting crown on it. To make the crown fit, after shaving off as much as they could off the crown, she basically took all the cusps off the lower molar (the curvy root one). She left the tooth in poor shape and I never went back there.

And I do realize I am creating anxiety over a future possibility but just knowing that there are ways to deal with tricky molars will help alleviate anxiety. I couldn’t ask the surgeon as my mouth was numb and I had just gotten the implant placed.

I had my 2 back molars extracted in October. I have a small jaw and my teeth have big roots that are also curved. My dentist referred me to an oral /maxfax surgeon to have them removed. During the extraction he also discovered they were fused to the jaw bone. He tried to extract in the usual way at first but when the tooth wouldnt budge (being fused to the bone), he then had to section the teeth and remove them piece by piece. It took about 90 minutes in total and it took about a week for the pain to resolve afterwards. The procedure itself wasnt painful as I as well numbed up but it was a little stressful as it took so long. Mine was done in the usual dentists chair, but I think if he had known how complicated it was going to be with the roots fused to the bone he would have done it under anesthesia. It would have been fairly straightforward by just sectioning the tooth if they were not attached to the jaw bone, which I believe is not very common?

I had my 2 back molars extracted in October. I have a small jaw and my teeth have big roots that are also curved. My dentist referred me to an oral /maxfax surgeon to have them removed. During the extraction he also discovered they were fused to the jaw bone. He tried to extract in the usual way at first but when the tooth wouldnt budge (being fused to the bone), he then had to section the teeth and remove them piece by piece. It took about 90 minutes in total and it took about a week for the pain to resolve afterwards. The procedure itself wasnt painful as I as well numbed up but it was a little stressful as it took so long. Mine was done in the usual dentists chair, but I think if he had known how complicated it was going to be with the roots fused to the bone he would have done it under anesthesia. It would have been fairly straightforward by just sectioning the tooth if they were not attached to the jaw bone, which I believe is not very common?
Yikes, that sounds complicated! I am glad you got through it! It also is reassuring because it sounds like they can section the tooth to remove it in pieces. It was just more than a little disconcerting to have an endodontist and now two oral surgeons comment on how difficult it would be to remove.

You will be fine if it comes to it, just be prepared for a longer time in the chair I think. Looking back it wasnt bad at all it just took a long time to get the teeth out that my anxiety was up as I didnt expect it. My surgeon even commented this is why I prefer to have my patients asleep when I get case like this so I can use bad language :grin:. Mine was a particularly difficult case but also not a common one.

Also keep in mind that sometimes teeth that look a nightmare on an x-ray finish up being dead easy to remove (and vice versa of course!) but normally sectioning the roots and wiggling them out individually is easy enough.

Also keep in mind that sometimes teeth that look a nightmare on an x-ray finish up being dead easy to remove (and vice versa of course!) but normally sectioning the roots and wiggling them out individually is easy enough.
Thank you Gordon! That is very reassuring! I know that tooth will most likely have to come out in the future, especially since there is no opposing tooth above it. I am going to be able to put it out of my mind (somewhat) and not let the anxiety get the best of me.

Also depends why it's coming out! If it's down to gum disease then that makes it much easier...

Also depends why it's coming out! If it's down to gum disease then that makes it much easier...
Nope...I have very healthy gums. It would be due to irreversible pulpitis. I have a very deep filling in that tooth and it is already somewhat sensitive. The endodontist told me that there was no way anyone would touch those roots with a root canal. Her advice was to leave it alone until I couldn’t handle it anymore, then extract it.

In that case the abscess will be eating away a little bit of the alveolar bone too, every little helps :)

Back