• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How do I keep my mouth open? IV sedation

B

Bekialice

Hiya,

I'm completely phobic of dentists, even check ups can have me in panic attacks.

I have IV sedation for an impacted wisdom tooth/X2 fillings/hygienist clean coming up on Monday.
I just wondered if I fell asleep, how would my mouth stay open? Will having headphones in as well make it impossible to communicate with me?
I really dont want to hear any drills, I cant imagine being calm enough to have those noises near my face.

I'm really freaking out because last time I tried this (with a different dentist) I got kicked out because I couldnt stay calm and never had the sedation.

Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks!

You are conscious during IV sedation, but would remember nothing and not care of what is going on, so you would simply open your mouth when asked. When people fall asleep, they usually already have their mouth open so there is no problem. If you have music on, they could simply lift your headphones to talk to you.

Have they given you any sedation to take before getting to the clinic? It might help keep you calm before. Keep in mind you will be in good hands, they will take care of you and everyone there wants the best for you.

You are conscious during IV sedation, but would remember nothing and not care of what is going on, so you would simply open your mouth when asked. When people fall asleep, they usually already have their mouth open so there is no problem. If you have music on, they could simply lift your headphones to talk to you.

Have they given you any sedation to take before getting to the clinic? It might help keep you calm before. Keep in mind you will be in good hands, they will take care of you and everyone there wants the best for you.

I'm just worried my mouth will close if I'm relaxed and they'll catch me with a drill or something.
I have no sedation before, I just have to try and go and get the IV in and hope I can bring myself to do that part :dunno:

I remember one dentist I saw several years ago, she used a little plastic wedge put by my back teeth on the opposite side of where she worked, she showed me beforehand. I don't know if a lot of dentists do that, but either way, they will hold your mouth open if it starts to close, you probably won't be fast asleep.

Good luck and hope it goes well :)

I remember one dentist I saw several years ago, she used a little plastic wedge put by my back teeth on the opposite side of where she worked, she showed me beforehand. I don't know if a lot of dentists do that, but either way, they will hold your mouth open if it starts to close, you probably won't be fast asleep.

Good luck and hope it goes well :)
I might ask if they have one of those, it really worries me haha.

Probably going to spend the day cleaning to distract me from winding myself up about tomorrow. Thank you x

I just looked it's called a bite prop or a mouth prop.

Anybody who's doing IV sedation will have mouth props, don't worry.

I've got a whole heap of ironing needs doing if you want to really take your mind off things :) Our washing machine was broken and it took 3 weeks to get a new one delivered here...

I've got a whole heap of ironing needs doing if you want to really take your mind off things :) Our washing machine was broken and it took 3 weeks to get a new one delivered here...
Haha I'm currently arranging things in my bathroom and throwing away any creams and gels that are more than 12 months old. Next up is cleaning my make up brushes, I might need that ironing soon! Running out of jobs:noway:

We should put this in the section "What can help" temporarily :grin:

I did it :yay:

I cried all the way there (an hour)

It did take 50mins and 7 attempts to get an IV into my non existent veins :scared: but it actually calmed me down and we were having a chat and a laugh about it (?!)

The dentist I've found is really really nice and I'm so glad I've finally (6years) found one I can trust.

Turned out my wisdom was more complicated than they thought and at one point i vaugely remember 3 different dentists pulling at my tooth and the nurses squeezing my hands. Thank god for sedation because I barely remember it, just little flashes.

I currently look like a hamster and can definitely only eat mash and soup.

But i can't believe I actually went through with it! A wisdom tooth out, 2 fillings and a scale and polish. Thank you sedation and understanding dentists!!

:jump::jump::jump: conrats and well done, Bekialice! :you-rock: Give yourself a pat on the back! I am glad you have finally found a dentist you can trust. That really is the one and most important factor.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, may you unswell soon and be able to eat again.

Thanks for following up with us and well done on getting through it all.

Now, about that ironing... :)

Back