• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long does a temporary root canal filling last

H

hollyt

Hi

I'm getting really nervous.

I had an accident when I was a kid, and then, just over a week ago I had really severe pain in my front left tooth. I tried to get an emergency appointment with my dentist but they were fully booked. I ended up in the A&E department of my local hospital where I was seen by an emergency dentist.

She confirmed my front tooth had died, as a delayed result of the trauma from when I was young and the tooth needed a root canal - right there, right then. I'm very scared of the dentist and found it a very hard day.

The emergency dentist then said she'd only given me a temporary filling, as my tooth was now stuffed with antibacterial stuff and needed to calm down. She said to go back to my dentist to get the temporary filling redone and the root canal finished within ONE week, TWO WEEKS MAX as she didn't think the temp filling would last that long.

I rang my dentist back in a state. They couldn't give me an appointment for a MONTH. I'm so scared about what to do. I've rung around other dentists for private quotes but they've all quoted £500 which I don't have. And I'm going on a business trip on Wednesday. Can my temp filling last a month? Or is the infection going to come back and I'll lose the tooth? I keep using a mirror to check the temp filling is still there but I'm scared some of it will fall off.

Really stressed. And, I can't go back to the hospital as they only see you if you're in pain.

Please help

Thanks

Hollyt

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I had a temp filling that lasted for 6 weeks and was fine. I was careful with what I ate though, mine was because I had an infection and had a rct. If the filling came out you could always say you are in pain that comes and goes and then you could be seen. Make the appointment with your dentist and hopefully it will be fine.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover::butterfly:

The filling may well last for a month or longer.
The real issue is that the emergency dentist won't have completely cleaned the root canal at that first visit, this means that the abscess could recur and the longer you wait the greater the risk of that happening.
On the good side though you will probably get a warning - the tooth will start to become tender and then to ache. If this happens then you need the tooth opening and recleaning asap.
If the temp filling breaks down/falls out then the tooth will become harder to clean later on.
Keep an eye on things, if you notice tenderness etc then contact your dentist for an emergency appointment.
fingers crossed

Thank you so much for your advice and support - means the world :)

Am still slightly freaked out though. My appointment is FINALLY almost here - it's on Tuesday afternoon. But, as luck would have it, my tooth has started to feel a bit tender again. I don't know how much of this is in my head or not, but after what you've said, I'm starting to worry the infection has come back.

To make it worse, it's Friday and there's nowhere I can go over the weekend if it gets bad.

Will it be OK to hold on until Tuesday? Can I just keep using loads of mouthwash and hope that helps? Or am I in big trouble?

Sorry if I'm sounding really dramatic. I'm just so scared and stress. This whole thing has been a nightmare from start to finish. I hate that I can't afford private treatment :(

Thanks

Hollyt

Hi please don't panic, I think things feel worse when we are constantly afraid of things happening. You will be fine until your appointment. If you do get pain take pain meds to try and help.

You could always ring the dentist today and explain that you are worried and see what they say. Your own doctor could always prescribe you some antibiotics if the infection did indeed flare up. Even if it did nothing too bad will happen. I know it can be painful but the chances are that because you are worried about it it is making things feel worse.

I did go for some months with an infection under a tooth that I knew was there but it didn't flare up but at times it did feel tender and I did worry that it would flare up. I found that if I tried to forget it, it wasn't as bad. It didn't keep me awake at night either. The night is always my test because I think if I sleep through something it isn't as bad as my mind is making it. In my head when awake it is a massive disaster :ROFLMAO:

I do understand how you feel but things are not usually as bad as we think they are. I think you are probably stressed about the up coming app too which won't help.

I hope you feel a bit better about your tooth, I may have just totally confused the issue with my babbling :ROFLMAO:

I wish you well and if you are really worried ring the dentist, the worst they can say is that to leave it that you will be fine until your appointment. :butterfly:

no dont try and hang on
get some antibiotics or better still get the tooth washed out before the infection builds.
If its infected next tuesday they wont be able to fill it and you'll have to wait longer.

Sorry I didn't mean to cloud the issue

Thank you. Your respond gave me the kick I needed to ring and demand an emergency appointment just before the weekend began.
My dentist couldn't do any work, but they gave me antibiotics and the pain has gone away.
FINALLY got my appointment tomorrow. So scared, but so glad this will all finally be over. Unless, of course, they just have to clean it again and I'll have to wait again for it to all be filled in.

Really glad I found this forum!

Hey there,

I had a temporary filling but in about a year ago as i could not go in for root canal because i was leaving for a oversea's trip. I was told that hopefully the temporary would last for the three months i was away, and just incase it didnt, i was given a prescription for pain killers to last me till i got back. I was also told to try not to chew anything on that side of my mouth.

Anyway, i dont particularly enjoy going to the dentist. So by the time i got back home it was forgotten about and nothing more was said.

But tonight half of it fell out, that was roughly a year ago so i think its safe to say that it should a temporary could last you a year.

Hopefully ill get an appointment for tomorrow:scared::dunno:

Back