• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How much tooth additional tooth needs to be drilled in order to replace a filling?

• Thread starter ImNotASpammerYouIdiots
  • Start date
I

ImNotASpammerYouIdiots

How much tooth additional tooth needs to be drilled in order to replace a filling?

As I understand it, every time a filling is replaced, more tooth needs to be drilled...and eventually, all teeth with fillings will need a root canal if you live long enough? For a medium-sized cavity in a molar, how long could I go before that would be necessary?

Re: How much tooth additional tooth needs to be drilled in order to replace a filling?

Hi :waves:

With the unfortunate mouth full of cavities I've secured over time because of poor genetics :( this has been a major concern for me also. The crappy dentist I went to back in October and his assistant were telling me fillings have to be replaced over time, blah blah blah. But my new dentist said if done properly fillings will last you a lifetime...I'm not sure if she's correct, although she sounded certain, but I have seen from others around the web that fillings should at least last a VERY long time if done as they should be. I'm not saying you will never need a filling replaced...I think I can recall when I was a young child having fillings come out when I ate airheads :giggle: buuuuut I definitely don't think all teeth with fillings will need a root canal if you live long enough. That absolutely isn't true. Did your dentist tell you that? Sure, if you have extremely deep cavities (which I have a few) a filling may not be what you need or you may later on years later have to get a root canal. But that's when you've had some monsterous decay.

like I said my last dentist was a crock who messed up my mouth but my understanding is that like you said more tooth is drilled each time you have a filling replaced. However, if properly taken care of my new dentist says you shouldn't need a filling replaced anyhow...I had explained to her what I was told about my front teeth needing replacement fillings later on and that's why I didn't want them filled and she scolded me saying she didn't know who had told me such ridiculous information...I didn't even tell her it was my old dentist since I don't think she would have believed me.

it can be extremely hard to find an honest dentist :dunno: which is a shame, but the sad truth. Sometimes it makes me want to get into the dental profession just so I won't get the wool pulled over my eyes about such things.

Re: How much tooth additional tooth needs to be drilled in order to replace a filling?

Nothing lasts for ever in this world and dental restorations are no different. Some can last a lifetime and some last considerably less. It depends on so many factors. Examples would be how well you look after them, what your diet is like, whether you grind your teeth, how many teeth you have lost, how big the fillings are what your health is like generally.
It is not inevitable that a filling will progress to a root canal, in fact the vast majority do not. All you need is a good dentist, good oral hygiene, good diet and a bit of good luck!

Lincoln

Back