• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How to get over the embarrassment of not visiting the dentist for a long time ?

B

Bunbun

How to get over the embarrassment of not visiting the dentist for a long time ?

This is the issue that is affecting myself and my mum the most we just feel so much shame that we haven't been to the dentist due to fear and embarrassment THIS is the thing that is stopping us walking into an NHS dentist and asking for help.

The fear also that our teeth cant be saved that they will ALL have to be removed is another fear of mine in case on the X-RAY it shows all my teeth are no good even though its not visible that they are that bad from the outside.

I just don't know what we can do :confused:

Re: How to get over the embarrassment of not visiting the dentist for a long time ?

Honestly, I felt so embarrassed about not going for so long (I didn't go for over 20 years) and the state of my teeth until I actually got myself to the dentist. All my dentist said was the he wasn't there to judge, and that all he wanted to do was help me - and that's when I started feeling better about it. Any good dentist won't make a big deal about it, and will see it as a good thing that you are taking this step and looking to get back on a path of dental health.

I also had that fear of not being able to save any of my teeth, but most of the time, we build things up in our head to be worse off than they are. Honestly, if you don't have much visible damage, then chances are you aren't going to lose all your teeth. I was convinced for years that I'd be in for dentures, but I ended up saving most of my teeth - and the 4 that I had out very clearly needed to go (broken to the gumline and very visibly decayed).

Good luck - you can do it! :)

Re: How to get over the embarrassment of not visiting the dentist for a long time ?

Hello, i understand your fears, i was in a similar situation. I made a first dental visit about two months ago after years of pain and shame. I was really terrified, shaking and crying, my mother had to book the appointment for me because i couldn t face it. Before starting the visit and opening my mouth i shared my fear and embarassment with the dentist, he was really cool and made me feel at ease. after that all went easier.. Really! My dentist is really a cool and sympathetic guy, i really like him. It became almost a routine going to the dentist and i'm not so ashamed anymore. I have still a lot of work to be done, some extractions, cavities and devitalizations. I really had many problems in my mouth. I went to a big private clinic, i see always the same doctor but in two occasions it happened that other dentists worked with me. They always were professional and told me not to worry because its their job and they seen it all. Please don't be scared and book an appointment, then it will be easier for you to have control on the situation. Good luck!!