V
Vaidile
Member
- Joined
- Jul 13, 2025
- Messages
- 71
- Location
- Lithuania
Hi,
I've always had trouble determining which particular tooth is bothering me, especially if the pain isn't a sharp stabbing one, but radiating and seems to encompass a larger area.
For the last couple weeks, one of my lower right molars has been sensitive to heat and cold. I knew the second mollar had a big cavity, so I thought it must be that one, but I wasn't sure. At my last visit, the dentist did a tapping test, but it didn't seem to be more reactive to it than the teeth around it. Endo ice also wasn't painful, which I'm realizing might not be a good thing? Anyway, she filled it and said that while it was deep, she felt pretty certain the filling would work. She also said I might be getting referred pain from the upper right 3rd mollar that had had a deep filling a week ago. She told me to monitor it going forward.
Well, it was fine for a few days, and then I started feeling pain again, but now not only as reaction to temperature, but throughout the day at random. It's not very bad, at most a 3-4 on a pain scale, and it feels like it's coming from my bottom right molars, but I can't determine which particular one! If it turns out that the 2nd one needs a root canal after all, I want to be absolutely sure. The 1st molar also has some decay, but it doesn't seem deep enough to warrant the pain, though. I'm also worried it could be referred pain from my upper tooth, as the dentist said.
I've tried tapping individual teeth and placing an ice cube to each of them, but none feels more sensitive than the rest. It's like the moment I try to provoke them, they turn into this meme:

I go back to the dentist tomorrow so maybe she'll have more ideas. But is there anything else I can do at home to try to figure out which one is hurting for certain?
I've always had trouble determining which particular tooth is bothering me, especially if the pain isn't a sharp stabbing one, but radiating and seems to encompass a larger area.
For the last couple weeks, one of my lower right molars has been sensitive to heat and cold. I knew the second mollar had a big cavity, so I thought it must be that one, but I wasn't sure. At my last visit, the dentist did a tapping test, but it didn't seem to be more reactive to it than the teeth around it. Endo ice also wasn't painful, which I'm realizing might not be a good thing? Anyway, she filled it and said that while it was deep, she felt pretty certain the filling would work. She also said I might be getting referred pain from the upper right 3rd mollar that had had a deep filling a week ago. She told me to monitor it going forward.
Well, it was fine for a few days, and then I started feeling pain again, but now not only as reaction to temperature, but throughout the day at random. It's not very bad, at most a 3-4 on a pain scale, and it feels like it's coming from my bottom right molars, but I can't determine which particular one! If it turns out that the 2nd one needs a root canal after all, I want to be absolutely sure. The 1st molar also has some decay, but it doesn't seem deep enough to warrant the pain, though. I'm also worried it could be referred pain from my upper tooth, as the dentist said.
I've tried tapping individual teeth and placing an ice cube to each of them, but none feels more sensitive than the rest. It's like the moment I try to provoke them, they turn into this meme:

I go back to the dentist tomorrow so maybe she'll have more ideas. But is there anything else I can do at home to try to figure out which one is hurting for certain?