• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How to Support my Mom???

H

hoganshero

Hello!
On Monday my 54 year old Mother is going to get impressions done for a top denture. She is VERY afraid, and nervous. As a child she had teeth extracted and was unsedated (dental school). I have always taken her to the dentist, but she tears up at cleanings. It is definately time for her to get a complete top denture. I am also nervous because it is major surgery but have acknowledged her concens and tried to be calm and rational for her.
As others with dental issues or phobias, do you have any suggestions on how to comfort and support her through this?
Thanks
k!
ps..Did I mention my Mom is the best and I love her very much!

YOU are an awesome person! Have you showed her this site? Keep up what you're doing. My bf, just lets me vent, and lets me cry, and keeps reinforcing how much healthier and happier I will be because I am facing this. Let her know how strong she is for taking control of her fear.

Good luck to both of you!

;D

I totally agree with funnyc. Maybe you should show your mom this site and she could become a member. If it wasn't for members of this forum encouraging me, I never would have got my dental work done.
Wishing all the best for your mom,
Jen

I also agree..point her in the direction of this forum!! She will find so much help and support here. :XXLhug:

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately she has already changed her mind and is not going to get the impressions on Monday. She isn't too tech savy, and is wary of being online alot. But I will definately show her this site. Thank you so much, and good luck to each of you.
= ) k

That's too bad that your mom feels like that about being online. That being said, if you're cautious, don't give out too much personal information, being online is a good experience.
I suppose the next best thing is that you continue to post your mom's progress and we can reply and you can show her.
Impressions aren't great, but they're not painful. Of course, if your mom has gagging issues, then yeah, the impressions will be hard to get through. Does her dentist know that she is a fearful patient? Most dentists will definitely slow down the pace of their work once they realize they're dealing with a fearful patient.
Keep trying (without nagging). Remember the health of your mouth is not a separate entity from the rest of your body......healthy mouth = healthy body.
Here's hoping your mom will change her mind,
:hug2:'s
Jen