• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How urgent should you treat a chipped/broken filing?

V

Vuize

Hi guys,

My mum is currently overseas for a month and has informed me that her tooth filing has chipped/fallen out. The thing that worries me is that her filing chipped/fell out after only 2 days starting into her holiday and I think waiting 4 weeks is too long (she needs to enjoy eating in Vietnam).

Should I be worried? She uses tooth tooth mousse daily for the past couple of years and doesn't eat much sugar, so I somewhat hope the filing has shaken out due to decay. What are your thoughts on this?

I have also advised her to get a temporary filling, but the apparently dentist in Vietnam will milk non-local top rates (which she wouldn't agree to). What can she do to keep her teeth in decent condition (not becoming worse) once she gets back home?

Hey
If the reasson for it is carious, then it is better to treat it fast, because the cavity can only become bigger and time is not a good factor.
However, if the reasson is diferent (lik ebiting something hard) then it is pefectly OK to wait 4 weeks.
A good factor to estimate the situation is pain: if it is painful (especially with cold drinking) than it is better to treat it fast. If it is not painful, it is OK to wait 4 weeks.

Thankyou for your response Daniel.

I will ask her again for any pain/sensitivity or if it has fallen off due to bitting on a hard surface.

I also had a time where my filing has broke and there was no pain. Unfortunately my regular dentist was booked out for 3 weeks and once I received treatment, I was advised to have a root canal as the decay was like an 'explosion' under the filing. I felt abosolutely horrified as there was no pain or sensitivity!

Thankyou for your response Daniel.

I will ask her again for any pain/sensitivity or if it has fallen off due to bitting on a hard surface.

I also had a time where my filing has broke and there was no pain. Unfortunately my regular dentist was booked out for 3 weeks and once I received treatment, I was advised to have a root canal as the decay was like an 'explosion' under the filing. I felt abosolutely horrified as there was no pain or sensitivity!

What you had can also happen, but then most chanses are that the nurve is already dead (that's why there was no pain). It is impposible to diagnose only according to pain; there are so many factors that influence the sensation of pain, but it is arelevant information when one is trying to estmate wht is the resonable thing to do.

Back