• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I am concerned I have decay under an old crown on my back right molar

A

Annette

Hello
I think I have decay under an old crown on my right top molar I am really worried that it can't be removed to be root filed without further damaging my tooth and also that if I lose 2 back molars on the same side it will cause my face to drop.
I am now on my second course of antibiotics but the tooth is still not right, has anyone had experience of this. I recently also had an abcessed tooth that broke whilst they tried to treat it and had that removed, the pain was horrendous and I really want to do everything possible to prevent this happening again.
many thanks for any help

Hi Annette, if by root filled you mean getting a root canal? they don't remove the crown or need to. They just drill right through it the same as they would if it was your actual tooth.

I forgot to mention it's also complicated by a pin in the tooth to hold the filling

That does not stop them either. I hesitate to say this because my outcome was not very good, but on December 2 I had a root canal through a permanent crown on a tooth that before the crown had been a huge composite filling with a pin. my tooth was actually more filling than tooth.
it can be done. they go right through your crown as if it is your tooth. even with the pin. they make a small hole in the center of your crown. when it is all finished the top it off with a composite filling. I would recommend that you only have this done by an endodontist, as they are experts and once they get in there they have specialized ways of checking to see if your tooth has been cracked before they proceed.
pins have a high rate of causing cracks in teeth and that was unfortunately my problem. cracks do not show on xrays and the general dentist who did my root canal did not know my tooth was cracked, so ultimately the root canal could not save my tooth.

Thank you so much for your reply, I'm sorry you had no luck with your tooth, similar thing happened a few moths ago when they were going to do a root canal and crown on my lower tooth but my tooth broke, and had to be extracted it took two visits due to the aenesthetic not working so may just ask them to take it out, to be honest I'm terrified of getting another abcess and also if my face will be affected by losing another back tooth.

Thank you so much for your reply, I'm sorry you had no luck with your tooth, similar thing happened a few moths ago when they were going to do a root canal and crown on my lower tooth but my tooth broke, and had to be extracted it took two visits due to the aenesthetic not working so may just ask them to take it out, to be honest I'm terrified of getting another abcess and also if my face will be affected by losing another back tooth.

I would still check with an endodontist before deciding what to do. it would be a shame to have it extracted if it can be saved. But for me, I do wish I had got rid of mine before I paid all that money for a root canal and crown.
I have only just had mine extracted yesterday. There are options for replacing your teeth if you do extract it.
I worry too about it causing my other teeth to shift but after all I have been through and all of the money it costs I don't think I will replace it.

Back