• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I could use some cheerleading. Mandible nerve block tomorrow.

B

blackhound

Tomorrow I get a cavity repaired (#19). This will be the first IANB in 10 years. This? Is HUGE.

10 years ago I was injured by a dentist doing an IANB. Had parasthesia for 6 weeks in my tongue, lip and cheek. It is the incident which started all the fear. It is why I have avoided dental work for years. I knew that sooner or later I would have to face this.

I know intellectually all the facts. That this kind of incident is rare. The statistical chance of lightening striking twice is small. The dentist is using 2% lidocaine. He is a skilled practitioner. I've had two procedures already (albeit maxillary) and there has been no drama, no trauma.

I also know that this is a wild stab in the dark based on general anatomy and that not everyone has everything in the same place. But I had years of dental work done (those amalgam fillings didn't get into those lower teeth by magic) with IANB shots to both sides of the jaw with no problems so I figure my anatomy can't be all that out of whack.

All the facts don't matter. The fear is irrational and overwhelming. I feel like I'm walking into Armageddon.

I know that no one can guarantee a result or tell me it will all turn out okay because the future is unknown, but I could use some general purpose cheerleading to get through this. This is the BIG ONE.:o

BH

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Ok I can do some cheerleading thanks to the smiley dept. Funny how we insist on being terrified when all the evidence goes against it being anything to be terrified of isn't it?

But remember that by this time tomorrow it will all be over and you will be doing a :thumbsup::dance2:

Good luck, get on and get it over with!

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Good luck Blackhound, and congrats on facing your biggest fear and not allowing the voice of panic to out-shout the voice of reason.

I'm sure you'll be back here reporting that everything went fine and that your mouth returned to normal sensations just like it should and almost always does.

In the meantime just keep breathing and focus on anything else you can-- watch a stupid movie or go clean the garage or the fridge or the car, and try to keep the worry voice in the background.

I don't have any experience with nerve damage but I completely understand the feeling of walking into Armageddon, and how much strength and courage it takes to make yourself do something when your phobia is screaming bloody murder. I hope you have a big reward planned for yourself when it's all over!

We'll be thinking about you and wishing you a simple, painless procedure and a quick return to full movement shortly after. Good luck,and keep us posted!!!

:hug5:

Good luck! :clover::clover::clover:

I still haven't had a block since my paresthesia, but I know there is no way to avoid it forever. :( Even knowing that the chances are low, having extensive and intimate knowledge of exactly what you are risking is different than when it is just a theoretical risk.... Hope it goes well for you :thumbsup:

You could also ask your dentist to try with just infiltration with articaine/septocaine first, and if it doesn't hurt, skip the block entirely. If your dentist is skeptical, show them this paper:

[broken link removed]

It was a study comparing infiltration with articaine to a lidocaine IANB for mandibular first molars (19 and 30). The articaine infiltration did just as well if not slightly better than the block! The success rate of either is not that great, so you could still end up getting a block, but why not try without the block first?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jellyfish,

That is it isn't it? That it is no longer a theoretical risk.

Thanks for the info about buccal infiltration on those molars. I will definitely bring it up tomorrow.

I had 10 years free and clear after my incident. I knew it couldn't last forever. But as that cliche says, the only way out is through.

:XXLhug:

BH

Hi Steve,

Sooner or later I knew I would have to face it. And frankly, I'm tired of running from it. Doesn't mean I won't be scared witless tomorrow, but it's time.

Thanks for all the good thoughts. You are aces.

BH

Hi Toucan,

Thanks for the encouragement. Tomorrow it's gonna happen. No more hiding from the fact that I need dental care.

BH

Since June and as of today I will have had 12 fillings and no problems. With any type of procedure (dental or otherwise) you're always going to run at least a slight risk of complications but it's not the norm. You will be fine!

What time is your appt so we can all send positive thoughts your way? :grin:

What time is your appt so we can all send positive thoughts your way? :grin:

My appointment is at 10:50 this morning. All positive vibes greatly appreciated!

BH

Since June and as of today I will have had 12 fillings and no problems. With any type of procedure (dental or otherwise) you're always going to run at least a slight risk of complications but it's not the norm. You will be fine!

:thumbsup:

From your lips to God's ears! I am trying to keep positive and think about the really great teeth I'm going to have when this is all done.

BH

My appointment is at 10:50 this morning. All positive vibes greatly appreciated!

Well with the time difference that is in about 10 minutes so you should be there or nearly there right about now.

Vibes sending begins............:jump::jump:

Back