• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I did it!!! Three root canals in one appointment!!

I

implants14273

I just wanted to post here to hopefully give some reassurance to people on here who may have to undergo some type of dental procedure that they're terrified of.

Just this morning, I had 3 root canals done. That's right, 3! All in one appointment. And they took roughly an hour and a half with a break for me in between the 2nd and 3rd.

When I first got there, I was visibly shaking and felt like I couldn't breathe right. My stomach was churning and I was so anxious, but the dental assistant was wonderful and I can't say enough positive things about the Endodontist, I have never been to a calmer, skillful or more patient dentist.

I had RCT on 3 of my 4 front bottom teeth (one already had a root canal years ago). He gave me novicaine, explained what he was going to do and how long it would take and then put the dam on and got to work. The first two took around 30 minutes. I felt nothing. He then gave me a break and started the 3rd one. That is the ONLY time I felt pain, it was sharp and literally for a second. Aside from that I felt no pain and only the (not even bad, I just hate a lot of things blocking my mouth) discomfort of the dental dam.

I was anxious for the first two- I was shaking and visibly anxious, but by the third one I was relaxed, normal and not even really thinking about what was going on in my mouth at that point, and instead what I was going to do with the rest of my day :)

He was so kind and I feel so relieved I could cry. I'm home now and in disbelief that I got it done and spent about a week and a half in advance worrying and letting this silly procedure ruin my mood.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions for any of you who might have to go through something similar and reassure you a bit! :)

Last edited:
I just wanted to post here to hopefully give some reassurance to people on here who may have to undergo some type of dental procedure that they're terrified of.

Just this morning, I had 3 root canals done. That's right, 3! All in one appointment. And they took roughly an hour and a half with a break for me in between the 2nd and 3rd.

When I first got there, I was visibly shaking and felt like I couldn't breathe right. My stomach was churning and I was so anxious, but the dental assistant was wonderful and I can't say enough positive things about the Endodontist, I have never been to a calmer, skillful or more patient dentist.

I had RCT on 3 of my 4 front bottom teeth (one already had a root canal years ago). He gave me novicaine, explained what he was going to do and how long it would take and then put the dam on and got to work. The first two took around 30 minutes. I felt nothing. He then gave me a break and started the 3rd one. That is the ONLY time I felt pain, it was sharp and literally for a second. Aside from that I felt no pain and only the (not even bad, I just hate a lot of things blocking my mouth) discomfort of the dental dam.

I was anxious for the first two- I was shaking and visibly anxious, but by the third one I was relaxed, normal and not even really thinking about what was going on in my mouth at that point, and instead what I was going to do with the rest of my day :)

He was so kind and I feel so relieved I could cry. I'm home now and in disbelief that I got it done and spent about a week and a half in advance worrying and letting this silly procedure ruin my mood.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions for any of you who might have to go through something similar and reassure you a bit! :)

Outstanding!!!!

Have one today and then another one on in two weeks. The next one is a top middle tooth,#7, and I've never had a front tooth done before. So happy for your success. We scare ourselves into thinking how horrible it will be then afterwards think it was so easy.

Just wondering how your root canals went afterwards? Any pain or problems weeks afterwards? Were you able to eat on them soon after? Thanks ?

I appreciate the good experience you related. I have my first root canal this morning and I am terrified. I am literally crying while typing this. What a horrible phobia to have. It has consumed the last two weeks. Practically every waking moment I'm worrying about it. My appetite has gone away and I've lost a few pounds. Trouble sleeping, short tempered, the whole shebang. All because of dental phobia. I really appreciate reading the good experiences of others.

I appreciate the good experience you related. I have my first root canal this morning and I am terrified. I am literally crying while typing this. What a horrible phobia to have. It has consumed the last two weeks. Practically every waking moment I'm worrying about it. My appetite has gone away and I've lost a few pounds. Trouble sleeping, short tempered, the whole shebang. All because of dental phobia. I really appreciate reading the good experiences of others.

Hi there good luck with your appointment today if it hasn’t already been yet! Hope you too with have a positive experience to share!

Hi there good luck with your appointment today if it hasn’t already been yet! Hope you too with have a positive experience to share!

They did TWO root canals today. I survived!! The numbness is wearing off and I'm a little sore, but I guess that's normal. I am so relieved this is over. I go back in one week for final impressions for crowns, then two weeks later for crown placement. That doesn't scare me half as much as today did!

Back