• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I FINALLY made appointment, but..

B

BlueStarGalaxies

After YEARS of failing to do so, I made a appointment for a exam to see what it will cost me to get my top front teeth repaired/replaced. I was shaking and almost dropped my phone, the receptionist was nice, but my appointment isn't until Nov 11th (They are only open on Weds because of Covid) and that gives me plenty of time to chicken out! I have general anxiety and dental anxiety! but what is worse is not only did I have VERY bad front teeth cavities (I am even embarrassed to admit this here (again)) but during lockdown (back in the middle of covid months, when everything was closed) one of my front teeth completely BROKE OFF, which was the last straw for me and I cried for hours. I was already mentally exhausted because of the state of my teeth and having to live this way for years, but that just broke me completely. I have been coming to these forums and reading other peoples struggles and stories for years, to try and finally get that courage I so badly needed, but I could never make that FIRST step. Too scared. Too EMBARASSED. ? And honestly, I feel like my teeth are the WORST ones on this website compared to other people. ? I have other cavities too, tons, but my front teeth (ya know the ones people see FIRST if you talk to them) are my worst, always have been and I hate myself for letting it go this long ? Sorry my post is long, but I guess I came for support and encouragement from fellow scardy cats like me ???

Hi,

Thank you for sharing with us your situation and feelings. The main theme that came out of your thread is embarrassment. I invite you to watch my video about this important topic:

Update: I went to my appointment! I was shaking almost the whole time and was BEYOND embarrassed, I hardly slept the previous night and was tired when I went, which helped lessen my freak out. Everyone was kind, even though I was highly ashamed. I need a LOT of work done and they do not do payment plans, so I will have to try and find another dentist, which means I will have to go back through the embarrassment and xrays again, but it is what it is. I need a lot of work besides just my front teeth and the cost is very high. I just hope I can find a dentist who can help get me on payments.

I will have to go back through the embarrassment and xrays again, but it is what it is. I need a lot of work besides just my front teeth and the cost is very high. I just hope I can find a dentist who can help get me on payments.
The x rays you had are your property (since you paid for them) so you can and should ask for your x rays and use it in other practices. Usually these are digital files so you don’t need to pay a visit, just via email. You can then send the images to several other practices just for them to have a general idea about your dental situation and ask them not to give you a definitive dental plan (for that also a clinical examine is required) only the principal agreement for payments.

The x rays you had are your property (since you paid for them) so you can and should ask for your x rays and use it in other practices. Usually these are digital files so you don’t need to pay a visit, just via email. You can then send the images to several other practices just for them to have a general idea about your dental situation and ask them not to give you a definitive dental plan (for that also a clinical examine is required) only the principal agreement for payments.

Thanks so much! That information is very helpful!! ?

After YEARS of failing to do so, I made a appointment for a exam to see what it will cost me to get my top front teeth repaired/replaced. I was shaking and almost dropped my phone, the receptionist was nice, but my appointment isn't until Nov 11th (They are only open on Weds because of Covid) and that gives me plenty of time to chicken out! I have general anxiety and dental anxiety! but what is worse is not only did I have VERY bad front teeth cavities (I am even embarrassed to admit this here (again)) but during lockdown (back in the middle of covid months, when everything was closed) one of my front teeth completely BROKE OFF, which was the last straw for me and I cried for hours. I was already mentally exhausted because of the state of my teeth and having to live this way for years, but that just broke me completely. I have been coming to these forums and reading other peoples struggles and stories for years, to try and finally get that courage I so badly needed, but I could never make that FIRST step. Too scared. Too EMBARASSED. ? And honestly, I feel like my teeth are the WORST ones on this website compared to other people. ? I have other cavities too, tons, but my front teeth (ya know the ones people see FIRST if you talk to them) are my worst, always have been and I hate myself for letting it go this long ? Sorry my post is long, but I guess I came for support and encouragement from fellow scardy cats like me ???
Hi ...iam in the same place as you...my teeth are all really bad ....teeth missing and rotten ?... So ashamed of them ...haven't been to a dentist in 30 years ...my teeth are giving me problems now ...I have my first appointment at a new dentist this morning ...really panicking now ....haven't slept .....my front teeth are awful to ....tho I've got a big problem with my wisdom tooth that is broke ?...like iam 45 years old and I can't handle this at my age ...haven't eaten since Sunday with nerves .....one regret I have that I never looked after my teeth