• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I need reassurance and help. PLEASE. Appointment is tomorrow :(

M

missmeganleah

I'm 20 and going for my first tooth extraction tomorrow. I'm having it done at hospital under IV sedation (meaning I'm still going to be concious and able to respond to commands). I'm having my upper first left hand molar which is badly broken and decayed extracted as there was nothing my dentist could do to save it. It's safe to say I'm terrified. They've told me that the whole procedure (including the sedation) will take an hour and the actual extraction itself around 20 minutes. Hospitals and dentists are the two things that give me the most anxiety so as you can imagine, this is my worst nightmare.

Has anyone ever had dental surgery under IV sedation before? How does it feel during the surgery and after?

Has anyone had a broken tooth extracted? Like half the tooth is missing and I'm not sure that there's a lot for them to grad on to.
Does it hurt?
How long should it take?
Do stitches hurt?
Will I feel paid afterwards?

And also before I left work today my friend (who's an ex dental nurse) said for them to make sure that I'm 100% numb but will I be able to let them know if I'm sedated? And will they 100% numb me? I don't want this to be a bad experience because I'm so scared right now.

My dad said that he had a broken tooth removed two years ago and the tooth exploded? Could this happen to me? Has anyone experienced this?

I'm sorry there's a lot of questions and that this is a bit of a ramble but some advice would be so appreciated. Thankyou x

I have had IV sedation for a medical procedure before, and as a health care worker have seen people have IV sedation (and given people IV sedation!) for procedures loads of times.

When I had it, literally the last thing I remember is them saying "10 of morphine, 10 of midazolam" and then the next thing I knew I was waking up and everything was over. I don't remember a single thing about the procedure.

When I've given IV sedation to other people before things like relocating dislocated shoulders or hips, they are still able to tell you if they are in pain, but they don't remember it afterwards - generally when they come round from the sedation they would ask "have you done it yet?".