• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I need this life changing IV sedation appointment.

F

Fynaticx

Hello I’m Fyn.

Over the last year I’ve been trying to get work done on some root canal treatment I’ve had done that had not worked right and needs taken out and cleaned. Due to this problem I’m getting infections and swelling that cause some of the worst pain I’ve ever felt and then a course of antibiotics to clear it up. This has slowly been getting more frequent till it’s not more than once a month.

I can’t go on like this so I have a appointment booked that along with the IV sedation I’ll also have oral sedation 3 hours before my appointment as well.

I’ve come to these forums in hope of maybe finding some helpful knowledge and encouragement to help me get this appointment done! It will be life changing at this point to not need to worry about the pain anymore and enjoy life instead.

I have had 2 sedation appointments before but it was 9 years ago. I remember back then I thought it was so easy as i remember nothing about it and have had loads of dental work done yet it’s like I never had to sit through the appointments. It just makes it even more frustrating now however that I’m struggling again even just to get to a small checkup appointment. My fear has come back with a vengeance and I’ve tried to beat it over the past year but now I’m getting problems with my teeth that are not going to wait much longer.

I hope someone here can help me achieve this life changing goal. My appointment is on 4th of September. 8 days from me writing this.

HI Fyn,
IV sedation is very effective in the short term for getting work done but has shown to do little for “curing” the phobia which is probably why you are finding it so difficult to return. Also, the more time that has passed makes it difficult to return as well. IV sedation helps get many people through the door who would otherwise never be able to because of fear but it is more frequent visits and building a relationship of trust with the dental staff that really helps long term. Some people start with sedation and slowly back it off, others choose to always be sedated for treatment and that’s ok too but the trick is not letting too much time lapse (not more than 6 months to a year) before going back. I always make my next appointment before I leave the office which helps keep me committed to going back. Picking up the phone to make an appointment is a lot more daunting to me than making the next appointment while I am paying at the desk on my way out. It sounds like you really need this appointment to get you out of pain and regain your quality of life. It also sounds like you have had very good previous experiences with IV sedation. Are there specific things about this upcoming appointment that are worrying you? We are here to support you through the countdown and afterward should you need it!

HI Fyn,
IV sedation is very effective in the short term for getting work done but has shown to do little for “curing” the phobia which is probably why you are finding it so difficult to return. Also, the more time that has passed makes it difficult to return as well. IV sedation helps get many people through the door who would otherwise never be able to because of fear but it is more frequent visits and building a relationship of trust with the dental staff that really helps long term. Some people start with sedation and slowly back it off, others choose to always be sedated for treatment and that’s ok too but the trick is not letting too much time lapse (not more than 6 months to a year) before going back. I always make my next appointment before I leave the office which helps keep me committed to going back. Picking up the phone to make an appointment is a lot more daunting to me than making the next appointment while I am paying at the desk on my way out. It sounds like you really need this appointment to get you out of pain and regain your quality of life. It also sounds like you have had very good previous experiences with IV sedation. Are there specific things about this upcoming appointment that are worrying you? We are here to support you through the countdown and afterward should you need it!

Thanks for your reply. I completely agree with your approach as after my 2 IV appointments I started getting fillings done like normal as I had confidence. However I spent 2 years away from the dentist while I was dealing with depression which is most likely the cause of my confidence dropping. As for your question on what worries me, I hate laying down in the chair as it makes the panic sensations give me a very nauseous and sickly feeling, also I worry about how I’ll feel after my appointment.

Thanks for your reply. I completely agree with your approach as after my 2 IV appointments I started getting fillings done like normal as I had confidence. However I spent 2 years away from the dentist while I was dealing with depression which is most likely the cause of my confidence dropping. As for your question on what worries me, I hate laying down in the chair as it makes the panic sensations give me a very nauseous and sickly feeling, also I worry about how I’ll feel after my appointment.

Sorry to hear about your battle with depression. People do not realize how significant of a toll depression can take on your overall health as it becomes so difficult to care for yourself during that time. As for the laying down, you are definitely not alone. Most people (phobic or not) have some level of uneasiness with reclining as it naturally puts you in a position of being vulnerable. If you are able to somehow communicate this to the dental office in advance (either via phone call or email) they may be able to arrange to keep you seated upright until you are fully sedated. I remember with my wisdom tooth appointment (my only IV sedation experience) that they did not recline my head until just seconds before they put me under and it was only partially reclined. They didn’t fully recline me until I was out. By “how you’ll feel afterward” do you mean pain? Or how the sedation medication will make you feel? If pain is the concern, you should wake up with local anesthesia still in your system so you should be numb. As far as sedation goes, I have heard very few people report ill effects from it. Most people report being very tired the rest of the day and needing to go home and “sleep it off”. Depending on the combination of drugs, some people have been known to act funny which lead to those viral videos on the internet lol

Sorry to hear about your battle with depression. People do not realize how significant of a toll depression can take on your overall health as it becomes so difficult to care for yourself during that time. As for the laying down, you are definitely not alone. Most people (phobic or not) have some level of uneasiness with reclining as it naturally puts you in a position of being vulnerable. If you are able to somehow communicate this to the dental office in advance (either via phone call or email) they may be able to arrange to keep you seated upright until you are fully sedated. I remember with my wisdom tooth appointment (my only IV sedation experience) that they did not recline my head until just seconds before they put me under and it was only partially reclined. They didn’t fully recline me until I was out. By “how you’ll feel afterward” do you mean pain? Or how the sedation medication will make you feel? If pain is the concern, you should wake up with local anesthesia still in your system so you should be numb. As far as sedation goes, I have heard very few people report ill effects from it. Most people report being very tired the rest of the day and needing to go home and “sleep it off”. Depending on the combination of drugs, some people have been known to act funny which lead to those viral videos on the internet lol

In terms of the fear after the appointment comes from memories of my first IV appointment which I got 2 root canals done and 16 fillings. It took me about 3 days to learn to eat again from all the new feelings and shapes in my mouth and also my gums were quite sore aswell. This was mostly due to the fact my first IV appointment was my first step to overcoming a 10 year period of avoiding dental work. For my appointment next week I’m just looking at my root canal redone which is the one causing pain, also another new root canal on a dead tooth to keep it clear of infection and also another 2 fillings while I’m sedated.

In terms of the fear after the appointment comes from memories of my first IV appointment which I got 2 root canals done and 16 fillings. It took me about 3 days to learn to eat again from all the new feelings and shapes in my mouth and also my gums were quite sore aswell. This was mostly due to the fact my first IV appointment was my first step to overcoming a 10 year period of avoiding dental work. For my appointment next week I’m just looking at my root canal redone which is the one causing pain, also another new root canal on a dead tooth to keep it clear of infection and also another 2 fillings while I’m sedated.

2 root canals plus 16 fillings is a ton of work to do at once. I can’t imagine trying to eat after something like that. The mouth is very sensitive to small changes on just even one or two teeth plus everything had to be very inflamed initially. You should not experience anything to that degree again as long as you keep the work in manageable amounts. I think there are perks to getting everything done and over with at once but there are also many disadvantages on the recovery end.

Hi, I know exactly how you feel. I have had 2 previous sedation appointments as I had trouble numbing up.
I have an appointment on Friday for IV sedation to get 2 crowns and a filling done. I was absolutely fine last time, apart from being super tired for a couple of days, no nausea or fuzziness.
I can't believe though how anxious I am about this appointment! I am worried about afterwards too. I am going through a really stressful time in my life right now and have been really anxious on and off and I'm worried I will have a panic attack after the IV sedation has worn off.
I feel like I will go through with it but I really don't want to and I feel so weak...

Hi, I know exactly how you feel. I have had 2 previous sedation appointments as I had trouble numbing up.
I have an appointment on Friday for IV sedation to get 2 crowns and a filling done. I was absolutely fine last time, apart from being super tired for a couple of days, no nausea or fuzziness.
I can't believe though how anxious I am about this appointment! I am worried about afterwards too. I am going through a really stressful time in my life right now and have been really anxious on and off and I'm worried I will have a panic attack after the IV sedation has worn off.
I feel like I will go through with it but I really don't want to and I feel so weak...

Yes very similar to me.

At least with our phobia it’s nearly always a lot better than we imagine. I think the sheer amount of relief of our dentist appointments being over and done with will be far stronger than any negative thought. Atleast when we come round from the sedative we are on a path to recovery, but till our teeth are sorted we are not going to see any changes.

It’s very difficult to do but we really have to just focus on the idea of just getting it over with and moving on with our lives.

Yes very similar to me.

At least with our phobia it’s nearly always a lot better than we imagine. I think the sheer amount of relief of our dentist appointments being over and done with will be far stronger than any negative thought. Atleast when we come round from the sedative we are on a path to recovery, but till our teeth are sorted we are not going to see any changes.

It’s very difficult to do but we really have to just focus on the idea of just getting it over with and moving on with our lives.

Yes, absolutely we need to keep going forward and leave it all in the back window and focus on other things in life

My appointment is in less than 2 hours I’ll let everyone know how I am when I come around from the sedative

Good luck Fyn!!

Sending good vibes your way!

Hope everything went well.. Thnking of you! :grouphug:Wishing you smooth recovery

Back