• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

In need of reassurance my life isnt over!

L

leftitoolong

Former Member
Hi Everyone,

Never told anyone nor done anything about this situation for about 10 years so even writing this is a huge step for me. I have nothing but awful memories of going to the dentist as a child and when I was about 12 I developed a huge irrational fear of brushing my teeth and subsequently let everything go downhill. As soon as my parents stopped forcing me to go to the dentist I never went again..i am now almost 25. Most of my back lower molers have disintegrated and worn down to the gum. Funnily enough, it doesn't cause me any pain. it did at the time but appears that since the tooth is no longer there, I am not in any pain with my gums. Recently, my top "fang" tooth on the left feels sensitive and loose and I can see where the tooth has worn away around the filling that was put in as a child and basically the filling and tooth is lose. I am desperate to not lose any teeth or be toothless, i'm still young and although I know this is all my own fault for not facing up to what was going on, I really want to do everything I can to look after the ones that are still left. I've read so much on here about people letting their teeth go to disrepair, plucking up the courage to go to the dentist, and then being told they have to have all their teeth removed! This really is my worst nightmare. I haven't told any family, friends or even my boyfriend as i'm just too embarrassed and I know they will be baffled as to how anyone can let this happen to themselves. My breath smells and I know this is due to the rotting teeth, gum problems. I have now registered to a dentist and have my first appointment in a week's time. I am praying that the "fang" tooth in question holds on until then, I really don't know how I would cope with having a gap and having everyone ask questions and judging me. I am already proud of myself that I have registered with a dentist as this is more than I've done in years and to be honest I am scared of going I know i'm doing the right and only thing that can be done to make anything better. Can anyone advise on whether they will be able to save the teeth I have left and do remedial work to stop it getting worse rather than saying, its too late and there's no hope, we're gonna pull em out?!?! Surely they don't do this unless the patient in question says they'd rather have them removed. I'm just so scared of being left with no teeth or looking like someone who doesn't care about hygiene because I do, its just become such an engrained phobia and anxiety the only thing I could was ignore it. Now I know I can't anymore and I must do the right thing. Just reassurance and advise on peoples experiences will help me no end! Thanks in advance :):)

Hi Everyone,

Never told anyone nor done anything about this situation for about 10 years so even writing this is a huge step for me. I have nothing but awful memories of going to the dentist as a child and when I was about 12 I developed a huge irrational fear of brushing my teeth and subsequently let everything go downhill. As soon as my parents stopped forcing me to go to the dentist I never went again..i am now almost 25. Most of my back lower molers have disintegrated and worn down to the gum. Funnily enough, it doesn't cause me any pain. it did at the time but appears that since the tooth is no longer there, I am not in any pain with my gums. Recently, my top "fang" tooth on the left feels sensitive and loose and I can see where the tooth has worn away around the filling that was put in as a child and basically the filling and tooth is lose. I am desperate to not lose any teeth or be toothless, i'm still young and although I know this is all my own fault for not facing up to what was going on, I really want to do everything I can to look after the ones that are still left. I've read so much on here about people letting their teeth go to disrepair, plucking up the courage to go to the dentist, and then being told they have to have all their teeth removed! This really is my worst nightmare. I haven't told any family, friends or even my boyfriend as i'm just too embarrassed and I know they will be baffled as to how anyone can let this happen to themselves. My breath smells and I know this is due to the rotting teeth, gum problems. I have now registered to a dentist and have my first appointment in a week's time. I am praying that the "fang" tooth in question holds on until then, I really don't know how I would cope with having a gap and having everyone ask questions and judging me. I am already proud of myself that I have registered with a dentist as this is more than I've done in years and to be honest I am scared of going I know i'm doing the right and only thing that can be done to make anything better. Can anyone advise on whether they will be able to save the teeth I have left and do remedial work to stop it getting worse rather than saying, its too late and there's no hope, we're gonna pull em out?!?! Surely they don't do this unless the patient in question says they'd rather have them removed. I'm just so scared of being left with no teeth or looking like someone who doesn't care about hygiene because I do, its just become such an engrained phobia and anxiety the only thing I could was ignore it. Now I know I can't anymore and I must do the right thing. Just reassurance and advise on peoples experiences will help me no end! Thanks in advance :):)

Well nobody can promise you that none of your teeth will need extracting, but I can promise you that no matter what happens your life is not over, and it is great that you have taken the first step to gain back your oral health.
Normally a tooth is not extracted unless it is beyond repair or beyond the persons ability to pay for the repair. Even a dead infected tooth can be root canaled. A broken chipped or cracked tooth can often be crowned. it is only when the decay is so severe as to have reached the roots or when the roots have cracked that teeth are beyond repair. Sometimes loose teeth can be saved, but sometimes if they are loose due to severe gum disease to the point of bone loss they may be extracted. Even if teeth are extracted it is not the end of the world. There are options for replacing missing teeth. Try not to get ahead of yourself worrying about what might or might not be.

thanks for your response. its really appreciated and every post I read on here makes me feel I have a little more hope! i'm really hoping that they can fix the teeth rather than extracting. I suppose I will only know once I've been! Thanks again, i finally feel for once in my life that i'm not alone and its not the end of the world. Don't know what i'd do if i hadn't found this forum!

You are definitely not alone. everyone here at some point or another felt that their teeth are the absolute worst in the world and that there could be no help for them. Dentistry has come a long way and these days most teeth can be repaired. Even when they can't be, there are so many options for replacement. :)

Hi. You are in a very similar situation to me! I'm 26 and only just seeing a dentist and getting treatment. You can do it if I did! Feel free to message me if you want to chat :) did you manage to make an appointment?

You sound exactly like me! I've recently started visiting the dentist for the first time since I was a kid, and I'm 27!! I had a rotten bottom left molar which I've finally had removed, but I never told my family, friends or my boyfriend about it either. I completely understand how you feel. I also had bad breath and felt like I couldn't leave the house without copious amounts of gum and mints.
I still haven't mustered up the courage to tell anyone what has actually happened, and to be honest I probably never will, but I can now at least talk about the dentist in general with other people. This has made such a difference to my confidence.
I know you posted this in January, so I'm not sure where you're at at the moment, but I was going to say that most dentists can provide an immediate short-term tooth replacement if its a tooth near the front, so you won't be leaving the dentist with a gap IF your tooth needs to be removed (and that's a big if!). And once you have those rotten roots taken out, your breath will be better and you will physically feel healthier.
I'd love to know how you've travelled these last couple of months.