• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I need TONS of work done :(

E

eeyorelover

Hi all -
I finally made it to the dentist after not going in 10 years because of a bad experience. Well a few bad experiences actually - the last one being 10 years ago.
The dentist I went to wasn't real personable but to tell you the truth I really wasn't in the get to know you mood anyway - lol
He does the xrays and pokes around and tells me I have to have 6 fillings - 2 teeth pulled , several extensive (whatever that means) cleanings, and (ready for this one ???) 2 root canals!!!!!
I just don't know how I am going to do that !!!
It took all I had just to go and get a check up!!
So here I am with my teeth hurting horrible and wondering how I am ever going to make it thru that!!!!!!!!!
I couldn't even make a follow up appointment I was almost in shock !!!!
And of course it doesn't help that as soon as I got home I googled root canals to see exactly what is done since I have never had one - REALLY BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!!
Sorry for the rant - I am just so upset and scared I don't know what to do with myself!!!
xxx
eeyorelover

Hello, :welcome:

Well done on getting through your first appointment, that in itself is an achievment :jump:

Have you asked if they offer any form of sedation? I never thought I would be able to go through with the treatment plan my dentist gave me, I was shocked when I realised how bad I had let my teeth get, 4 extractions, 8 fillings, 1 root canal, a deep clean and 2 crowns. I have nearly finished my treatment, last appointment is on the 20th and I am so happy I finally did it, I do however need to be sedated so perhaps this is how you could go about getting the work done for you?

A root canal isnt really that bad, I just see it as a deep filling as it feels exactly like that, it takes a littler bit longer but it shouldnt be painful so you have no need to worry!

I really know how you feel , when I was told about all the work I needed to have done I was so unhappy, here I was sitting in this chair, pleased with myself for actually being there and being told, I had so much to have done. i didnt know what to do but I made the decision to go back and get it all sorted, the longer you leave it the worse its going to get, I kept telling myself that and realised that with the right dentist, I could do it. I hope you find this of some reassurance?!

Hi. I don't know the extent of your phobia and I certainly don't know your financial condition but here in the United States there are dental practices who sedate you and do your whole mouth at one time.

I did this 11 years ago. I paid $500 just for the anesthesia part but they stuck an iv in my hand and I went to sleep.

When I woke up, I had one extraction, two cavities, (one was a really deep cavity) a tooth that needed a bonding. a root canal (yes, they did the whole thing at once) a cleaning. and I never felt a thing. This particular practice was geared to the dental phobic (who didn't mind spending the money) and wanted everything done at once. If I remember correctly, I paid almost $3000 but I had the money then, I charged it on my charge card.

Of course, now that I have my own dear phobia dentist, I don't have to have everything done at once and things are different. But I remember walking in that place a nervous wreck and they said"Melody, we'll put you to sleep and you won't feel a thing". I couldn't believe it.

You might want to consider this kind of practice. I think people who can't do many office visits, and don't mind paying for a lot of work and getting it all over with, well, it might be the best thing for them.

Only one drawback. Because I had that really big cavity and the root canal, the teeth bothered me for a long time afterward and I remember calling the dentist and saying "why does this tooth hurt me and he said "what do you expect, we did a complete root canal in one visit and bonded it".

I learned a lot. I learned that fear can ruin your life.
Thank god I found my good guy.

Love, melody

Hi! I know exactly what you're going through. I hadn't gone for years and years, and when I first sat down in the chair I said brightly "Give me a Hollywood smile!" What a joke. He told me I had to have all my uppers pulled and did I want implants or dentures? I felt so stupid asking for a Hollywood smile and finding out how bad things really were.

I did get a second opinion and that one gave me a completely different outcome. I still have to have an enormous amount of work done -- including a root canal. However, I don't "do" root canals because I don't believe in them. I will have that tooth pulled and an implant put in instead. But that's just one part of the process. Like you, I have tons that need to be done, and I'm taking it in baby steps, one procedure at a time. I think I'm looking at three years before my teeth are decent again, and forget about the Hollywood smile, I just want healthy teeth now.

anyway, good luck, take it slow, do sedation, and do things at your own pace. Just my two cents.

dental_hell

Thanx so much for the replies and well wishes!!!!
I don't know how I am going to pay for all of it to tell you the truth. I hadn't really thought that far ahead cuz I wasn't sure I could even go thru with the initial appointment but now I guess I should start figuring it out - lol
There is NO way that I could do the whole thing at one time cuz of the cost. I don't have dental insurance and I'll have to try and find a dentist that will take payments as the one I went to for my first visit wanted all the money up front.
The root canals I need are the two on either side of my front teeth so I really don't want to get them pulled.
Whatever I am going to do I'll have to do it soon as one of them has an abcess(sp) and I can't put it off much longer.
I just hope I can find a dentist that is understanding and isn't going to charge an arm and a leg for all this work!!! That is a tall order tho huh??!! lol
Thanx for the support guys and I'll keep you updated ;D
eeyorelover

Back