• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I overcame my fear of the dentist over time, you will get through it

M

Mudduck252

Im the kind of person that can have a premonition about fear over anything new. When I was little I didnt have any fear of the dentist. Even when I went to the Orthodontist at 8 I was fine. At 11 when I was getting my first filling, it freaked me out. Mainly because I was afraid of throwing up up when they put that cotton under my tounge, I would gag so much and then putting all the metal tools in the mouth at the same time. It was so overwhelming I freaked out so bad and my dentist and my dad had to hold me down inn the chair. I just couldnt get through it.

A bit later on I went to a kids dentist and they used laughing gas on me. I did fine. Later on when I was in high school I had to get a few fillings and I was nervous, sometimes my heart beating fast but I got through it fine.

Today at 35 I have no fear at all. And the mindblowing part is, I developed some severe anxiety\panic attack when I turned 27, which Im now using the right medication for. Amazing thing is, even with that I have no qualms or any kind of fear of going to the dentist at all. Heck I get more nervous\anxious just going to the regular doctor now.

The fear I have now about the dentist is the cost of the precedure!!

I moved your post as it is certainly a success story. Congratulations on overcoming your fear and I hope you continue to have positive dental experiences. Thanks for sharing your story.