• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

14 Years Later I Went To The Dentist And Overcame My Fear

M

MissFilledWithFear

I'm new here, Ive lurked the forum plenty in the years of not going to the dentist. I'm a 43 year old attractive female whom upon meeting or seeing would never guess in a million years I havent been to a dentist in 14 years. It was my dirty little shameful secret I told no one. My teeth didn't look bad so you would never know, I did think I could see some cavities forming but, it still couldn't get me to the dentist.
So, a month ago a filling I had from the last time I went 14 years ago fell out and basically it was forcing me to go to a dentist and get it fixed as it was getting a little sensitive.
So..... I made an appt, finding someone who was well known etc and also my not husband went too.
I took a little Xanax before hand and had my husband take me. I explained to them jokingly I was like one of those people on the tv shows with extreme fear.
The dentist reassured me in 14 years things have changed a lot. I was already feeling confortable and well, the Xanax didn't hurt.
I wasn't nervous at all and after an exam and X-rays X-rays it was determined I had 3 cavities, a half crown to fill the filling fall out and I badly needed a deep scale cleaning.
I was thrilled, of course in my head all I could think was im going to have 20 root canals etc... the worst of the worst...
I was so comfortable I felt so embarrassed I stayed away for so long but then felt like a champion for going.

I've already gone in for 3 appointments, I began the deep scaling treatment, which was easy peasy they only used a topical and I felt nothing.
Yesterday I had the half crown and filling put in, and more of the deep scaling and even though they used Novocain I felt no needle at all! The new techniques etc are unreal... Technology is incredible....

Bottom line ------ I was forced to have to go and I wish I had the nerve to go before because honestly, I feel such a satisfaction now, I will never neglect my teeth again, Im going to go every 3 months for cleaning etc....

The joy in overcoming a fear and one of your personal biggest shames is so worth it.
If you're in Los Angeles, and want the name let me know.

Here to share happiness and spread positivity!
Thanks Forum for making people like me know they are not alone

- Mandy

Hi Mandy.

Congratulations for going and getting a treatment plan started! :jump:

I'm so happy that you had a good experience and are getting your dental health back on track now. Keep up the good work!

Good luck.

JJ

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

Thank you for taking the time to tell your story, it was a very good read. You could put your dentist on the recommended dentists section on this forum and the practice etc... so that other people will know where to go.

It is such a good feeling as you described when you conquer your fears like this. Good luck with your future dental work :butterfly:

Back