• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Immediate denture after extraction (upper front 4) aftercare?

D

Dan-O

Hi all :) had my front upper 4 teeth/crowns removed and an immediate denture/plate put in yesterday but dentist was real busy and was pretty much bundled out all bloody-mouthed with no aftercare tips, just a very naff piece of paper that was all about extractions!

So kind of in the dark now! Left plate in overnight, only just removed it to give my gums a saltwater rinse (the blood seems to have 95% stopped) and give it a clean but really don't know what to do next!

Do I keep the denture in at ALL times, removing it occasionally to give it a clean? Can I wear it in bed while I sleep? Can I eat meat yet? Chew chewy things? I know I need a second one in six months but that's about all...just did hear dentist vaguely mumble something about 'wear at all times' on my way out!

Any answers would be most welcome as feel a bit in the dark!

Last edited:
Also, do I just use Steradent to clean it or just rinse it? Clueless!

Hi all :) had my front upper 4 teeth/crowns removed and an immediate denture/plate put in yesterday but dentist was real busy and was pretty much bundled out all bloody-mouthed with no aftercare tips, just a very naff piece of paper that was all about extractions!

So kind of in the dark now! Left plate in overnight, only just removed it to give my gums a saltwater rinse (the blood seems to have 95% stopped) and give it a clean but really don't know what to do next!

Do I keep the denture in at ALL times, removing it occasionally to give it a clean? Can I wear it in bed while I sleep? Can I eat meat yet? Chew chewy things? I know I need a second one in six months but that's about all...just did hear dentist vaguely mumble something about 'wear at all times' on my way out!

Any answers would be most welcome as feel a bit in the dark!

As far as what's next goes, it's going to be a case of healing up and needing adjustments as the swelling goes down. Keep with soft stuff for at least another couple days. And when going back to solids, take it easy with the new partial since it'll take a little learning with how to eat with it. Personally if i wear mine, i don't use the uppers(front 4 teeth) for chewing but that has to do more with problems with getting the upper partial to agree since I have some teeth(real ones) that are short. It's going to just be a matter of how your case turns out.

As far as the wear schedule during healing, i heard wearing them as much as possible is important. After that, it's pretty much up to you though wearing them at least once in a while is important. With my partials, i was wearing them about 2x a week, then once every 6 days in January, i think about 3 or 4 times in feburary(i'd have to check the journal), and tomorrow will mark time 3 in March.

Thanks for your reply :).

I maybe jumped the gun but I had burgers for dinner today...talk about awkward! I chopped em up real fine with a fork but the plate felt a little like a see-saw when I was chewing!

I'm really self-conscious so sense I'll have it in ALL the time...will that be bad? Also, taking it out at night, is that a necessity all the time, can they break easy?

Sorry so many questions but they just bundled me straight outta there.:scared:

Thanks for your reply :).

I maybe jumped the gun but I had burgers for dinner today...talk about awkward! I chopped em up real fine with a fork but the plate felt a little like a see-saw when I was chewing!

I'm really self-conscious so sense I'll have it in ALL the time...will that be bad? Also, taking it out at night, is that a necessity all the time, can they break easy?

Sorry so many questions but they just bundled me straight outta there.:scared:

As far as the see sawing, could just feel like it and its steady or it could be part of that "your needing need adjustments" factor.

I heard that having them in most of the time is fine but every so often, you should give your mouth a rest. Night time is up to you. Some people sleep with them in but a lot sleep with them out.

Truly many thanks again!!! :jump:

Think it's all been a massive shock to the system and the extractions were excruciating given they left me over an hour in the waiting room after the injections! But does seem to be fitting a little better today. Really grateful for your advice gamergirl.:)

Back