• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Implants after bad experience with extraction

K

Ktbare82

Hi!
I am severely diabetic which caused damage to my jaw bone. I had my top two middle and bottom four middle teeth extracted and bone grafts put in in preparation for implants. I ended up having stitches rip out, followed by dry socket all across the bottom. For someone with dental phobia it was my worst nightmare.

The posts for the implants are going in on the 26th of September and I’m freaking out! Can anyone tell me how the pain of post placement compares to that of the extraction and graft procedure?? I was laid up in bed for two weeks after the extraction!

To further complicate things, a few days after the extraction a far back molar broke, and required my first ever root canal. They didn’t place the cap as they were waiting to see where my gum line would be post surgery and the tooth just broke again!! Not enough left to save, so now they’re extracting it on the 26th during the implant surgery🤦‍♀️

I’ve been having nightmares. Should I expect this to be as painful as the first surgery was??

Honestly, the implant placement is SO much easier than extraction and grafting. I have had four implants now, and the healing time is less than a week. With both of my molar implants, I was up and around the next day, just taking Tylenol. With my front tooth, it was extracted and the graft and implant were placed the same day. I also had an implant placed on my lower molar at the same time. Even with the extraction of the front tooth, it was less than a week before I felt “normal” again. Your jaw may be a little sore, but it is nothing compared to the extraction process.

Thank you, that’s good to hear! The idea of a screw being put in my jaw seems like something out of a horror movie to me.

Thank you, that’s good to hear! The idea of a screw being put in my jaw seems like something out of a horror movie to me.
I felt the same way before my first one.

Back