• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

In need of urgent advice: 2 unfinished "root canalled" teeth giving me huge problems

I

ilostmynewunicorn

In need of urgent advice: 2 unfinished "root canalled" teeth giving me huge problems

Hey and thanks in advance for answering :)

Around March, I had a follow-up appointment on a root canal to shape and seal the canals. Something went incredibly wrong and it was the most painful experience I ever had, and I got a temporary filling to last for a while.
Then I switched dentists, had the first part of a root canal done in the other side of my mouth one week ago. Since I couldn't avoid to eat on other side of my mouth (the one with the older root canal), I had to eat on the new temporary filling, and it broke down within 1 or 2 days.

3 hours ago I went in to have a new temporary filling and was advised to avoid eating on it. And so I did, and decided to take a chance and eat on the other tooth instead.

The result is that it broke. I'm not sure if the tooth itself broke down, or if it was just the filling, but a huge, hard piece of it fell down and it's now completely open. Not only that, the little food that still got into the other side broke down part of the new temporary filling as well, and it's now pretty sharp and standing out.

Right now, I can't eat, I don't feel comfortable with anything in my mouth, and psychologically speaking, I'm a mess because of so much work, failure, and tiredness. I just don't know what to do anymore.

My dentist is closed for today, so what should I do? I have an appointment next week to finish out the new root canal. Should I schedule something urgent, as in waking up my dentist so he can come to the clinic and have a look at me, since they closed for today? Should I risk it to bring down this new temporary filling? Should I not eat (and I can't sleep without eating) and go there first thing in the morning?

EDIT: Just to correct something, it's not the center of the tooth with the older root canal that broke down, but rather something on the side. It had already began to crack, but now it broke down enough that I can feel the gum inside of the tooth.

Re: In need of urgent advice: 2 unfinished "root canalled" teeth giving me huge problems

You need to go back to the dentist as soon as they are open, rinse your mouth to get rid of any food that is left in the teeth and keep the areas clean :butterfly:

Re: In need of urgent advice: 2 unfinished "root canalled" teeth giving me huge problems

You need to go back to the dentist as soon as they are open, rinse your mouth to get rid of any food that is left in the teeth and keep the areas clean :butterfly:

I can always call their 24/7 number to schedule something a bit earlier, or announce an urgency and skip ahead of everyone else there anyways, but I'm assuming there are costs to that even if the only thing I need is to have a small filling placed, do you think it's worth it?

Another small problem is that they open at 7 am and I'm used to waking up at 11-12, so I'd probably sleep no more than 2-3 hours, if at all. Have you ever been to the dentist with such little sleep? How was the experience?

Thanks for answering :)

Where are you? Are you in the UK? If so, I would phone them now and explain the situation and see what they suggest. They might want to look at it tonight, or they might fit you in tomorrow, but they would be best placed to advise.

Re sleeping late in the mornings, I do this too so I can see why you are concerned - maybe they can fit you in an emergency appointment at lunchtime tomorrow instead of 7am, let you get some sleep?

Call them. This is exactly the sort of thing they have 24/7 emergency numbers for. Yes, it's worth it, even if all it needs is a small filling, you don't want to leave the tooth wide open like that without talking to a dentist.

Back