• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

In pain, need to go to the dentist soon.. terrified :(

S

Soanxious

Hi everyone,

long time lurker, first time poster! I have a lot of work that needs to be done. I last was at the dentist in 2014 to have a root canal. I’ve always had dental anxiety, but now I have regular anxiety too haha so it makes it even harder to make an appointment and go. I have hypochondria, a phobia of throwing up and agoraphobia. When I panic, my instinct is to leave wherever I am. I know that if I’m in the middle of having a filling done for example that I can’t just up and leave, and that terrifies me. The anxiety also makes me feel sick to my stomach, which just makes me more anxious because of my fear of throwing up. Overall it just seems like a hopeless situation. If I don’t go to the dentist, things will only get worse and I’ll be in pain and worrying that I will get an infection that will make me seriously sick or worse. I’m starting to come around to realizing that if I do go, I won’t have to worry anymore. It will be hard and very uncomfortable, but then it will be over and I will feel free. Just don’t know if I can round up the courage to just do it. I don’t feel quite ready yet. Does anyone else have dental anxiety along with regular anxiety/hypochondria/agoraphobia/emetophobia? So many phobias haha I need some reassurance this can be done.

Hi everyone,

long time lurker, first time poster! I have a lot of work that needs to be done. I last was at the dentist in 2014 to have a root canal. I’ve always had dental anxiety, but now I have regular anxiety too haha so it makes it even harder to make an appointment and go. I have hypochondria, a phobia of throwing up and agoraphobia. When I panic, my instinct is to leave wherever I am. I know that if I’m in the middle of having a filling done for example that I can’t just up and leave, and that terrifies me. The anxiety also makes me feel sick to my stomach, which just makes me more anxious because of my fear of throwing up. Overall it just seems like a hopeless situation. If I don’t go to the dentist, things will only get worse and I’ll be in pain and worrying that I will get an infection that will make me seriously sick or worse. I’m starting to come around to realizing that if I do go, I won’t have to worry anymore. It will be hard and very uncomfortable, but then it will be over and I will feel free. Just don’t know if I can round up the courage to just do it. I don’t feel quite ready yet. Does anyone else have dental anxiety along with regular anxiety/hypochondria/agoraphobia/emetophobia? So many phobias haha I need some reassurance this can be done.
Iam exactly the same ?..tho after year of pain missing teeth and rotten teeth I managed to work the courage up back at the start of December and go after 30 years of not going..I was so frightened and the anxiety was so bad ,, but I went kept telling myself you need this done for your own health and mental state . Tho I've still alot of work to be done ,, iam glad I don't it .....once iam in there and he starts iam not to bad tbh .. they are professionals at there work and have felt with teeth in all states . I've had 2 teeth out since and I've on goin work alot ahead still .... actually go on Tuesday to get another out ?
Keep telling yourself you can do it ,,trust me I hadn't seen a dentist for 30 years so if I can do it anyone can. Iam not gonna lie I still have loads of anxiety about my appointments it's just how to deal with it . Talk to yourself , calm yourself keep saying I can do this & breathing helps . Good luck tbh in the long run its better to go get things looked at before your health affects you mentally and physically. Keep us updated

Hi Soanxious and :welcome:

I recently saw a video of a dentist giving tips and advice to other dentists. In the video, he said that he offers patients to stop and split treatment over two visits in case they feel panicky and want to leave. Apparently, it's not that difficult to just abort a filling and put a dressing on and complete it during a subsequent visit.

I'm not sure if this would be more difficult with COVID, but it would be worth asking any potential dentist about it! Once the pressure is removed, it's often much easier to go through with a procedure.

Sedation would be another option, and again, there's lots of info on this website (in the What Can Help section).

Hi Soanxious and :welcome:

I recently saw a video of a dentist giving tips and advice to other dentists. In the video, he said that he offers patients to stop and split treatment over two visits in case they feel panicky and want to leave. Apparently, it's not that difficult to just abort a filling and put a dressing on and complete it during a subsequent visit.

I'm not sure if this would be more difficult with COVID, but it would be worth asking any potential dentist about it! Once the pressure is removed, it's often much easier to go through with a procedure.

Sedation would be another option, and again, there's lots of info on this website (in the What Can Help section).

wow, I will look into the filling abortion. I had no idea that was something that could be done. You’re right, often I will feel anxious about a situation until I feel like if I wanted or needed to I could leave as I pleased, and then it’s not so bad. Just having that option helps me feel less trapped.

I wish I could just be sedated and have it all taken care of, but of course I’m terrified of that too. :( I’ve never had sedation before and I avoid medications altogether so I don’t think that’s an option for me. Thank you for the info though!!

Iam exactly the same ?..tho after year of pain missing teeth and rotten teeth I managed to work the courage up back at the start of December and go after 30 years of not going..I was so frightened and the anxiety was so bad ,, but I went kept telling myself you need this done for your own health and mental state . Tho I've still alot of work to be done ,, iam glad I don't it .....once iam in there and he starts iam not to bad tbh .. they are professionals at there work and have felt with teeth in all states . I've had 2 teeth out since and I've on goin work alot ahead still .... actually go on Tuesday to get another out ?
Keep telling yourself you can do it ,,trust me I hadn't seen a dentist for 30 years so if I can do it anyone can. Iam not gonna lie I still have loads of anxiety about my appointments it's just how to deal with it . Talk to yourself , calm yourself keep saying I can do this & breathing helps . Good luck tbh in the long run its better to go get things looked at before your health affects you mentally and physically. Keep us updated

good for you for pushing yourself to go! When it really comes down to it, I know that I can do it, but I’m just worried about how awful it’s going to be. Last time I was at the dentist I had a panic attack and was shaking uncontrollably. I wish my anxiety was entirely mental but I get so many physical symptoms that really make it difficult. :( Woke up still in pain, this will be another day of worry.

wow, I will look into the filling abortion. I had no idea that was something that could be done. You’re right, often I will feel anxious about a situation until I feel like if I wanted or needed to I could leave as I pleased, and then it’s not so bad. Just having that option helps me feel less trapped.

I wish I could just be sedated and have it all taken care of, but of course I’m terrified of that too. :( I’ve never had sedation before and I avoid medications altogether so I don’t think that’s an option for me. Thank you for the info though!!

Midazolam (the drug used for IV sedation) has actually been used as an anti-emetic to prevent people from throwing up, so depending on why you avoid medications, sedation may still be an option (that's if you fancy going that route, of course!).

Maybe you could email potential dentists to see if they would feel happy with aborting if necessary, and compare their replies ?

Back