S
scrambledeggs
Junior member
- Joined
- Sep 26, 2020
- Messages
- 2
- Location
- NJ
Hi!
New here and finding going to the dentist is scarier than ever. Used to be a soldier when I was younger. Not anymore. I had to go last weekend and this weekend and now have to see a specialist about a root canal that couldn't be completed.
I find this to be super challenging during the pandemic - not a place I want to go to a lot right now.
Anyway, I'm really finding I'm afraid (a new fear) of injections - not so much needles...they don't bother me, but just being numb really, really bothers me and makes me severely anxious. I try to tell the dentists beforehand and it seems to help but sometimes I think that they really don't want to hear it (like you're a crybaby or something, lol). Although, most are used to it.
I feel that my throat is going to close up too...that is a HUGE fear...
Any tips or support for getting rid of numbness? I always fear that my face will be paralyzed or I'll have some dental malpractice on my hands...it is terrible...
New here and finding going to the dentist is scarier than ever. Used to be a soldier when I was younger. Not anymore. I had to go last weekend and this weekend and now have to see a specialist about a root canal that couldn't be completed.

I find this to be super challenging during the pandemic - not a place I want to go to a lot right now.
Anyway, I'm really finding I'm afraid (a new fear) of injections - not so much needles...they don't bother me, but just being numb really, really bothers me and makes me severely anxious. I try to tell the dentists beforehand and it seems to help but sometimes I think that they really don't want to hear it (like you're a crybaby or something, lol). Although, most are used to it.
I feel that my throat is going to close up too...that is a HUGE fear...
Any tips or support for getting rid of numbness? I always fear that my face will be paralyzed or I'll have some dental malpractice on my hands...it is terrible...
Last edited:
,
one thing that helps me is to get a break after the numbing is set. I usually ask for a mirror to see that my face looks normal and then I like to get up from the chair for a moment (gives me a sense of control) and calmly check how the things feel. Swallowing few times, talking a bit and doing some faces calms me down pretty quickly. Once I see all is well, I usually can move on with the procedure. It is a fact that nothing can happen to your throat so this really is "just" dealing with the stress.