• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Insert Catchy Title Here (aka here we go again...)

Just to be clear that this RCT'd tooth is 99% better at this point. It's the one next to it that's now giving me trouble due to some recession. The other 3 RCT's I've had have been orally successful and I was completely pain free immediately.

Oh I'm so glad to hear a semi-success story! Also I think you are very brave to have had those root canals done. The thought petrifies me and I think if I ever get myself in the chair again and am presented with that choice I might choose extraction. Right now I'm just hanging on to Mugz's mind over molar and hoping there is a possibility this tooth may settle down.

ScardeyCat -- I was absolutely TERRIFIED before my first root canal. Was seconds away from a full-blown panic attack when I got to the office. I told the endodontist how terrified I was and my 'rules' (I didn't want to feel anything, I needing to be flat back in the chair for injections -- I had previously passed out from dental injections, and I absolutely, under no circumstances, could see any needles). He was so kind and said to me that he would work with me to do whatever I needed in order to get through it. I was so worried that I wouldn't be numb because my bottom back teeth are very difficult to numb -- prior to this RCT I had never been truly numb for dental work in that area of my mouth. For the RCT, I was more numb than I had ever been which provided a huge amount of comfort and, when I felt little twinges during the appointment, he gave me more anesthetic right away and I felt nothing after that. It was long (90 mins or so), but was not anywhere close to the nightmare I imagined. After the first one, having had such a positive experience, it was much easier to have the other 3 (even though they were all with different endodontists).

Best of luck to you!

Scaredy Cat....Fearful was a ROCK STAR with this last one. If you haven't read the saga of her last root canal, check it out. (jump in if I jumble up your story, Fearful...) This wonderful warrior fought her fear and knew she needed help but knew she didn't want it from the last endo...so she found the courage to tell that to her dentist. Then summoned more courage to nicely tell bossy receptionist "tell the dentist to call me back, beyotch" (minus the last part) and before her dentist called her back he got new endo appointment info for her so when he did call her he could give her the info right away and get her the help she needed. So cool. THEN, she reaches into the depths of her soul for MORE courage to meet new female endo...and likes her....but guess what, she can't do the root canal. Her partner will. Fearful was so ready to kick her tooth's ass and so chock full of bravery she scheduled the root canal with the endo's partner she hadn't even met!!!! Her story in her words is much, much better....I gave you the Mugz Notes version that I remember because I am so impressed by her courage and covet her bravery....and dentist....and Spike's too while we are at it....and Zombiegroupie has a good one too.

LOL Mugz:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

When I go to see Mike, I will tell him that you have designs on his comfy chair and dentistry skills!;)

Yes Spike! I think your confidence in Mike's dentistry skills is precisely why his chair feels so comfortable...it has less to do with the make and model or upholstery, and everything to do with YOUR comfort level. But what do I know?!:dunno:

Yes Spike! I think your confidence in Mike's dentistry skills is precisely why his chair feels so comfortable...it has less to do with the make and model or upholstery, and everything to do with YOUR comfort level. But what do I know?!:dunno:

Hmmm, you could be right Mugz :giggle:, mind you I must say that his chair is a much better shaped piece of furniture than any other chairs I have experienced, it's actually better and softer than my sofa. I do agree the whole experience has made the dental stuff soooo much easier to deal with, it's about listening and acting on what a dentist hears that builds trust and one can't put a price on that :jump:

Hope you guys are ok.

Mugz -- LOVE your 'Mugz Notes'. So very kind of you to describe me that way. I'm often my own worst critic and alway feel like I have not done well enough especially when it comes to managing all of this dental ridiculousness. For me, the most memorable parts of the story were the 80's-music-as-transitional-object and awkward-locked-out-of-the-office-for-30-minutes parts. LOL. But, I suppose the actual RCT should take center stage, huh? I know that you covet my tooth whisperer and I would so very happily share if you lived closer!

How are you doing ScardeyCat?

As for an update from me: RCT'd tooth seems to be all good at this point :). #3 seems to still be sensitive, but does seem a bit better (fingers crossed that it stays this way!). I'm really starting to have some hope that the next time I have to sit in The Chair will be in April for my 6 month cleaning appointment. It's scary to say this out loud because I'm worried I may jinx myself, but here's hoping I don't!

Hope everyone is well :)

I will keep my fingers crossed for you that the only visit to the chair in your future is for cleanings.
I'm doing ok, thanks for asking. Kind of scared but still able to function. Wishing I didn't have to have Thanksgiving with my mother in law. I have not eaten in public or even in front of anyone since this ordeal started 2 months ago.