• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Insert Catchy Title Here (aka here we go again...)

You can do it! I promise!

WOW! High Five, Fearful!!! From where you started...just making the appointment to meet a new endo, period....to letting them tap and do a cold test and then " holy mother of Jesus" SCHEDULE a ROOT CANAL...WOW! AND with A DIFFERENT DR!! I am SOOO IMPRESSED!!! Talk about a busy day! That is HUGE progress...and we know it!! YAY YOU!!!

Obviously it needs to be taken care of and the sooner the better...so kudos to you for getting your courage together to do it. Wouldn't it be fan-freakin-tastic if you kept the fear at bay forever this time? It can happen! I think when it hurts so flippin bad you find strength you didn't know you had and cross the line from seeing endodontists as evil to people that might ACTUALLY help end the agony of a tooth from hell. You've also had the procedure before which takes some of the unknown out of the equation....even if it wasn't ideal you know what to believe or not about the reputation of the "root canal".

I hope you get a little rest and the antibiotics help....which they might. I definitely felt a little better right away, not enough to go running or get off the couch for the weekend....but I wasn't contemplating suicide after the second dose.

Keep us posted this weekend!!

Thanks everyone!

Honestly, it all feels less impressive than it does desperate for the pain to stop. As you said, Mugz, in your other post, this pain is horrible. I've never birthed a child or passed a kidney stone, but I've had 3 previous RCTs and before each one of them I remember feeling like I would do just about anything to get rid of the pain. The first 2 were done by non-creepy endodontists, but they were both residents who came to my dentist's office a couple of times a week and I believe they have both moved out of the area. I think because the first RCT experiences were good (or as good as RCT can be for a phobic) I can remind myself of that when go on Monday. I really hope I can continue to keep the anxiety at bay because, for me, that's most often the worst part. I have a head cold and I'm exhausted so that helps too -- I just think my body is too tired to make anxiety chemicals -- lol!

When I was leaving the appointment yesterday, I started talking with the receptionist and then one of the dental assistants chimed in. We ended up talking for a while about fitness and weight loss (subjects which I am quite passionate about). The receptionist said that if that dental assistant is available on Monday morning, she will try to see if she can be the one that is at my appointment. It's funny, with all of the dental work I've had, I've never really cared who the assistant was (except the last assistant my dentist had who was just so horrible -- just really bad at her job -- but that's a story for another post), but since I'll be seeing an endo who I've never met, it might be really nice to have someone at least a little familiar in the room with me.

Work has been busier (I have a coworker who is about to go on maternity leave, so much of the work she would normally do is coming to me now) which is good because it will keep me occupied and not focused on the pain or the appointment. So glad that I only have to live with this pain for 4 more days!

I'd rather have my 32 hour labor again than have a toothache :p they're horrid

how are you FearfuL?

I'm so miserable right now. I keep telling myself that if I can get through until 8:30am (I'm working now and have to also work the overnight tonight) that I can sleep all weekend if I want -- nothing else on my list after that (I can skip the run I had planned).

I addition to the toothache, I have a head cold. Thanks so much for checking in ZG! It's so nice to know there are people out there sending good thoughts!

Fearful, I hope you feel better soon! Sending prayers!

Get all the sleep you can, try some ice or some heat on your face, also a heat mask can help with the head cold. you poor thing!

Thanks CB and ZG! Headed home now from
Job #1. Going to try to get a few hrs sleep before I have to start job #2 at midnight.

CB -- how's the healing going for you? Are you able to eat without feeling sick? Are you able to move around or still too sore?

I've survived my overnight shift and now have 48hrs until my appointment. I'm not feeling as sick in terms of the head cold -- which is a good thing -- I was really starting to get worried about trying to breathe during my appointment if my nose was all stuffed up. Normally I would cancel an appointment if I'm sick, but I know that I don't want to have even one more day of pain.

The pain this morning is not so bad, but it usually gets worse when I'm up and moving around. I'm trying to give my stomach a break, so I haven't taken any ibuprofen since yesterday -- which I know I may regret later.

I'm starting to have some anxiety about my appointment, but nothing major yet. I hope it stays this way. Honestly, I'm just so uncomfortable, that there's part of me that is looking forward to the appointment because I know that, 48hrs from now, I'll no longer be in pain. It's a little (ok, maybe a lot) scary that I'm seeing an endodontist that I've never met before, but I'm just going to be hopeful that he is nice and will be patient with me and my anxiety :)

I hope all of you are having a lovely weekend free of tooth drama! It's fall here in New England and I'm sad that I don't feel much like being outside -- this is the BEST time of year here.

Hi Fearful

Very much hoping you can get through the next 48 hours or so without too much discomfort and hopefully you can soon feel like going out in the lovely New England fall (been there several times and it is without doubt the best time of year:))

Also hoping that all will go well at your appointment :XXLhug:

Kind Regards

you're going to do great. I realized too that I had less anxiety once i realized that I could be out of the consant pain and worry

Hang in there!

For those of you who want the play-by-play... here it is :)

Today was root canal day for tooth #2. It was the last of my remaining 2nd molars to NOT have had RCT. I guess I should have known that it would eventually succumb to the fate of its sister teeth. I had been in so much pain that I was actually looking forward to my appointment this morning. Even so, that didn't stop the anxiety from starting to creep in starting last night. For me, anxiety manifests itself physically -- I feel like I can't breathe, my stomach gets all messed up, I am visibly shaky, and I can't think clearly. It's horrible and I decided that I wanted to do whatever I could to ease as much of that as I could.

I wasn't really nervous about anything in particular aside from the fact that I would be seeing an endodontist who I had never met before. But, I was told he was nice and patient, so I felt like I really had nothing to worry about. So I decided I needed to make a plan to try to manage my anxiety. I was doing all of my deep breathing and positive self-talk, but it wasn't helping to calm me as much as I would have liked. Then I got an idea... it may sound kind of funny, but for me, sights, smells, and sounds can be either particularly triggering or soothing depending on what I associate with them. I know that I have learned to feel safe in my regular dentist's office so I thought if I could transfer that feeling over to a different dental office, maybe I wouldn't feel quite as anxious. My dentist always plays 80's music in his office. Always. So, I found an iTunes 80's station and listened to it on my phone all morning as I was getting ready, then on my way to my appointment and then all the way through my appointment. I even listened to it on my way to work afterwards. And, it may sound crazy, but it really helped! There were times I was even feeling happy because I really liked the song that was playing. Crazy, right? It's almost like I was able to bring a bit of the safety of my dentist's office with me to this new office with this new dentist.

The morning itself didn't go quite as planned. I got to the office about 15 minutes early (I talk public transit so I always allow for a extra time) and nobody was there -- lights off, door locked. I knew I was early, but I kind of expected someone to be there. About 5 minutes after I arrived, one of the dental assistants got there, but she had forgotten her office key. The two of us stood a round for a while and then another patient arrived who was there for a consultation. We all made nervous small talk and then the dentist arrived, but he didn't have a key either. So more small talk ensued -- it was actually kind of nice to be able to be able to talk to the dentist (especially since I had never met him) before I got in The Chair. He actually seemed way more uncomfortable about it than I did. Finally, the receptionist arrived and let us all in. The root canal itself went as expected. The only part that I wasn't so happy about was that the endodontist insisted on testing the tooth again which was very painful. Though, after that, he got me numb right away and I felt absolutely nothing during that actual procedure.

I was pretty sore during the day, but am already feeling much better despite my very long day. I last took Tylenol at 4pm (8hrs ago) and I'm really just a little bit sore, but nothing else. I'm hoping to feel even better in the morning. I know that I need to call my dentist to make an appointment for him to do a permanent filling on the tooth, but I think I need to just be able to not think about teeth for a day or two before I do that. Maybe I will try to call tomorrow... or the next day.

Thank you all again for your support and encouragement! You all are the best :)

Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're awesome

Hi Fearful!!!

First of all I have to say how totally impressed I am by how well you handle yourself and this phobia of yours! Seriously. You've found what works (or doesn't) for you and then found tangible ways to do something about it....like with the music...how smart was THAT?! Your lists are also things you can actually see and do....not just something to think about or tell yourself. You seem to know yourself and your triggers very well...I guess in theory the more you are in this situation aka going to the dentist (or endodontist) the more you can learn from it and actually help yourself the next time IF you know yourself enough to HELP yourself...that is!

So kind of a "comedy of errors" to start - getting locked out and all! How funny even HE didn't have a key! I bet he was uncomfortable....but a good icebreaker for you in a weird kind of way. I wish he quit while he was ahead and did not retest the tooth but am thrilled for you that the actual root canal itself was uneventful and painless. The way they are supposed to be!

So the big question is HOW DOES YOUR TOOTH FEEL NOW? Obviously there is soreness and probably still discomfort from the actual procedure but can you feel improvement from the awful pain you had before the treatment was done? I really, really, so very sincerely hope that is the case and you are blissfully unaware of this tooth in your head and all is quiet and painfree... the way teeth are supposed to be!

Sorry I've been MIA...laying low with migraines this weekend and stupid pressure in my ear/sinus that I swear started with this ding dang tooth of mine. Big bright spot, my abscess is MUCH smaller. Jaw/tooth pain ever present but hoping for an absent abscess here before too long. I am so glad you didn't wait like I did and got in and got it handled right away, Fearless. Good call on your part.

You seem to know yourself and your triggers very well...I guess in theory the more you are in this situation aka going to the dentist (or endodontist) the more you can learn from it and actually help yourself the next time IF you know yourself enough to HELP yourself...that is!

Well, I've certainly had more than my fair share of dental work over the last 6+ years so, for better or worse, I've had a lot of opportunities to figure out what works for me and what doesn't. I've been actively fighting this phobia battle for so very, very long and I finally feel like I'm starting to make just a little bit of progress. I realized that this was really the first non-traumatic dental experience that I've had outside of my regular dentist's office. Especially with him being sick, I feel like I need to start making sure that I can keep myself going to the dentist if, at some point, he's no longer practicing.

So the big question is HOW DOES YOUR TOOTH FEEL NOW? Obviously there is soreness and probably still discomfort from the actual procedure but can you feel improvement from the awful pain you had before the treatment was done? I really, really, so very sincerely hope that is the case and you are blissfully unaware of this tooth in your head and all is quiet and painfree... the way teeth are supposed to be!

It's been a couple of days and I'm still very sore and taking some tylenol (but not regularly), but the pain is MUCH improved over what it was. And, it's different -- sore, not sharp pain. This recovery seems to be taking longer than the others that I've had, but I think that makes sense given that the tooth was in worse shape before than any of the others -- likely because waiting for my dentist to return from leave, I waited so much longer to get it dealt with than I had with the others. It seems to feel better today than yesterday, so I'm hoping that this trend will continue. I finally called today to make an appointment with my regular dentist for the permanent filling. They wanted to give me an appointment for tomorrow -- and normally I would be so happy to not have to wait -- but I really feel like I need to let my mouth heal first. Like you said, I just want to be able to be blissfully unaware of this damn tooth for at least a couple of days before someone else goes poking around in there. My appointment will be a week from today and, while that means more time to have anxiety before the appointment, I'm going to try to hope that I can continue my run of minimal pre-appointment craziness.

Sorry I've been MIA...laying low with migraines this weekend and stupid pressure in my ear/sinus that I swear started with this ding dang tooth of mine. Big bright spot, my abscess is MUCH smaller. Jaw/tooth pain ever present but hoping for an absent abscess here before too long. I am so glad you didn't wait like I did and got in and got it handled right away, Fearless. Good call on your part.

No need to apologize -- I was just worried about you :). It sounds like you're still in some awful pain -- I can't even imagine! Perhaps with the abscess getting smaller, you will start to get some relief? I'm so very, very sorry you are still having to endure all of this. I really wish there was something that could provide you with some relief -- it just seems crazy to me that nobody has offered you a real solution.

Sending so much good healing energy your way!

Hi, Fearful! How are you feeling today? I updated myself on your thread waiting for my dentist appointment yesterday and LOVED you strategy for calming your anxiety! I find anxiety affects me physically as well. I can't breathe, my throat tickles and I cough and swallow a lot more, my stomach hurts and I can't eat but with nothing in it it hurts worse. It's no fun. I had to take this appointment alone and take public transport to get there and for most of the trip I was thinking of you. I took my phone with me with it's relaxing music and sound app and spent the morning folding clothes and pacing wondering how early was too early to leave but how late was too late.:XXLhug:

neeniekitten -- I'm so glad that my craziness could actually help someone :). It sounds like you had a quite a successful appointment -- a HUGE deal particularly considering you had to go it alone! It's nice to know that someone else can relate to my public transportation dilemmas. I usually end up leaving my house really early and plan to kill some time near the dental office -- sometimes I just end up walking around in circles until it seems like an acceptable time to walk into the office :).

as for me, today is the first day that I haven't taken any pain medication. Still a lot of soreness when chewing, but it goes away right away (it doesn't linger for hours like before) and no more cold/heat sensitivity. It does seem to be getting better every day. My hope is that, by the time my filling appointment comes on Wednesday, I will be completely pain free.

Enjoy your upcoming travel!

Hi Fearful!
Just checking in to see how you are feeling. Is the tooth soreness better? How does it feel overall? Well enough to do the permanent filling? Hoping it has gotten to a point where things are quite comfortable for you. I'm supposed to go on Nov 13 to have mine looked at by a totally different endo IF things haven't improved by then. It actually hurts more without the abscess if that makes sense? Hope yours is an entirely different situation with a totally happy ending!!

Got the confirmation text yesterday for my next appointment next Wednesday (11/12). This appointment is for a permanent filling on the tooth that was RCT'd. I'm not super anxious about the appointment. I'm more anxious because I'm still having some discomfort and I can't quite figure out what it's all about. I did have a bit of a dental nightmare last night. I haven't had dental nightmares in a while, so that was unexpected. Hopefully they won't continue.

Those who follow my thread, know that I makes lists of what I need to get through before my appointments. So, here it is:

- work tomorrow
- work job #2 tomorrow overnight
- errands, long workout, packing for work trip
- long run sunday
- Miami for work sunday night through tuesday (flying back home tuesday night)
- work from home wednesday morning before my appointment

work has been much busier lately so that is very helpful in terms of keeping my mind off of things. I'm sure I'll post again between now and Wednesday in order to update my list :)

Hi Fearful!
Another good list - especially your trip to Miami! Plenty to keep you busy which is great as long as your tooth/two teeth cooperate and hopefully warm, sunny weather will be in your future. I think what you said about appreciating your dentist especially in light of his illness is very true and wonderful. The gratitude is also a sign of your "healing" and a testament to how far you have come...though your fear is not totally gone, you've made such strides - even in the weeks since his return. It may be hard for you to see as you are so close but the energy of your posts is more positive - sometimes obviously so, sometimes more subtle but it is there. The fact that you consented to a root canal with an endo you'd only met that am is astounding progress, you have to admit!! I continue to be impressed by how "together" you are, even if you don't feel it or think you are running on "fake it till you make it"...it is still an impressive act to have together!

( I posted this on my thread first just out of habit...then realized it should be here for you to go right to...but I forget where I am when I am writing, I just think of the person and type...so you get it twice!!)

And yes, thanks, I've thought all along this crown was a mistake. I should have gone back to endo right away...and they should have sent me there vs. wasting MONTHS with bite adjustments, ibuprofen tearing a hole in my stomach, antibiotics and pain pills. I noticed my gums are swollen more tonight but the real pain is deep inside my jaw, lower, below my tooth. Really bothers me this week when I bend down to pick something up or close my mouth tightly or when I've been talking/teaching a lot on the days I've got classes back to back. In my heart I feel like I am fighting a losing battle and eventually it will probably need to come out...why does that strike such fear in my heart???? Seems so much simpler than all I've had done so far but... (WARNING....off on a tooth tangent right about here......)

It takes me back to second dentist, second appointment at 5yrs old for abscess and emergency extraction of bottom front tooth on a Saturday then to more recent horror of holding my daughter's hand through 8 extractions about 5 years ago...she did great and I was soaking wet sweaty mess vomiting in the bathroom when it was over. SEEING it all happen changes everything. She just cut a bottom wisdom tooth which is horrifying me too...I hate teeth and extracting them sucketh much!!!! The taste and feel of the empty socket on my tongue makes me shake thinking about it. Like nails on a chalkboard to me. Enough....I have to sleep and so do you!!! Hopefully we will both remain nightmare free. I'm sure your nightmares are just because you are in pain and worried about neighboring tooth #3, why rct tooth hurts and should you fill crown, worried about your dentist....and upcoming appointment as an anxious patient...consciously or subconsciously. All this cuts into quality sleep...unfortunately.