• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is Dental Sedation Safe? I have to get a lot of work done!

  • Thread starter Thread starter DawnZ
  • Start date Start date
D

DawnZ

Junior member
Joined
Apr 28, 2012
Messages
1
Hello! I ask the question is oral sedation safe because I have to have a root canal redone, 4 crowns replaced at the front of my mouth and I am anxious about this. I have never had oral sedation or any other type done before in the dentists office, although ive had general and local anaesthetic several times without any problems. I remember it being really painful to have injections in the front of my mouth when i had my crowns fitted originally, 20 years ago, and I have just been through a period of anxiety in my life, Im wondering if it might be a good idea to take the oral sedative my dentist offers? Its midazolam btw. I am wondering if I could have any serious side effects with this drug? I am healthy, pretty low blood pressure, 98/78 at last reading, and if it is a very safe option or a bit risky? I dont want to compromise my health at all, I could maybe go through it cold turkey.... Please give me your opinions, I really value them and need them at this stage. Btw, my work is due to start in around a month, once we have decided on a treatment plan. THANKS!!
 
I have used IV sedation for many years on low risk and higher risk patients. While I can not comment on your particular case but in general IV sedation is very safe. Besides your medical history the training and the skill of the individual dentist varies greatly. I would ask where he got his training. Best answer is during a hospital based residency. ideally
the dentist has done some general anesthesia cases and multiple airways. Some dentists doing sedation have only done so called "mini-residencies" which consists of multiple weekend type courses and no experience with genera; anesthesia or deep sedations.
 
Hi DawnZ.
I've just noticed that one of our brilliant dentists has accidentally misread your question! :oops:

There's more info about oral sedation here. Hopefully, the information there can answer some of your questions, and allay some of your fears.

I haven't had oral sedation myself (only IV), but many other members here have. If search the site (using the search box just underneath the DFC logo at the top left of the page), you'll find lots of people's stories of how it felt and worked for them.

As to whether it's 'safe' to take the sedative, I'm not a doctor or dentist, but if your dentist knows your medical history and thinks they are suitable for you, you should be able to trust that. It is important that s/he does know of any conditions you have and medications you are taking, in order for him/her to decide if it is the right and best option for you.

If you find you still have worries or concerns, I'd recommend talking to your dentist about it. It's part and parcel of a dentist's job to answer their patients' questions, and it's important that you're completely happy with every aspect of your treatment before you go ahead with it.

Hope this helps! :)
 
Last edited:
Hi DawnZ,

I too have the same concerns about the safety of sedation. I was due to have a tooth out with a specialist dentist recently. He explained to me that IV sedation (midazolam) is safe and that I would not have any pain during the procedure, he also tried to reassure me that he could get the local anesthetic to work which is a big issue for me, however, he did not convince me and after further questioning I have declined to have the treatment with him. I have never had sedation or a general anesthetic before.

I believe that you must feel very comfortable with your treating dentist. Ask them LOTS of questions and let them know about your concerns, if they struggle with any aspect of your fears, then you are probably asking the right questions. Get the answers that help you feel comfortable. :)

All the best

De
 
I totally agree with De - you have to feel really comfortable with your dentist - I am soon to have iv sedation and would not (personally) go any other way. I am apprehensive in that I don't know what to expect, and so all that I read is telling me what would/should happen, and my dentist has explained it also. I will post on here how it was for me - am due to have it on the 18th of this month at the moment.

And I have asked a zillion questions - ALL of which have been answered, some of which have led to more questions, but again ALL answered. If you have someone who is prepared to answer all of your questions to give you the best opportunity to get all the answers that you need, then I would say you have found the perfect dentist.

I wish you well.

Kim
 
yes I see oral sedation. Midazolam is rarely used orally in the states so I answered Iv sedation Midazolam is overall an effective and safe drug for most people. It is short lasting but doesn't work well on people who chronically take similar drugs for anxiety.
 
yes I see oral sedation. Midazolam is rarely used orally in the states so I answered Iv sedation Midazolam is overall an effective and safe drug for most people. It is short lasting but doesn't work well on people who chronically take similar drugs for anxiety.

I wasn't offered anything other than IV sedation. It seems a little extreme. What ever happened to talking to the patient to help them to feel comfortable. I'm sure I would not need sedation if I found the right dentist, Everyone gets IV sedation with the dentist I rejected unless they specially say they don't want it. It seemed like 'one size fits all' I did not feel comfortable with that. Sedating the patient must take less of their time I suppose but I don't really know.

De
 
If you feel that you may be ok without it, then all credit to you - if you are offered nothing other than...... alarm bells ringing - PLEASE, get another opinion.
 
Back
Top