• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is going to the dentist every six months really necessary?

L

Lucas phobic

Hi!

My last dental check up and cleaning was 6 months ago. Do I really have to go to the dentist every 6 months? Currently, I have a small build up of tartar but my teeth are not sensitive. I would like to postpone my next appointment as it is a damn to go to the dentist.

Another concern I have: I am 29 and I am currently more prone to develop calculus buildup than when I was younger although I take care of my teeth at least as much as before. When I was younger, I never had dental cleanings when I went to the dentist for a check up because my teeth were free of tartar build up. My new dentist cleaned my teeth for the first time in May 2014. Then, my teeth were whiter and really clean but a small amount of tartar buildup has reappeared quickly on my bottom front teeth. I had another cleaning in March2015 but now I have again a build up of tartar on my teeth, especially behind my bottom teeth, although I brush my teeth regularly :cry:. Is it common to become more prone to develop calculus buildup?

Thanks

Yes
Going often to a good office reduces anxiety.

No, not for every person. The every 6 month thing is nothing but a saying made up by a toothpaste company years and years ago.

The six month rule is up to the dentist treating you. Some people need to go every three months and some are fine for a year. It depends on the condition of your teeth the dentist can decide if there is something that needs a check in six months and invite you back. If they feel things are fine and will be okay for a year then that is the recommended time to return.

No one has to go when invited but if we wish to remain healthy orally then it is common sense to follow the dentists advice. If you feel you would prefer to attend yearly then you can discuss this with the dentist and see what they say. :butterfly:

If you saw a doctor and they asked you to return to see them in 6 months would you question it. I think a lot of us don't really see a dentist as a medical person that has our well being at heart. They are there for our good. We never have to go but if we choose this route we suffer. The mouth is the quickest part of us to heal I have found and problems can be sorted out much quicker than a broken arm or most other health issues.

I like the prevention route rather than the cure route when we leave our teeth without being seen by a dentist. It is much less trouble and stress.

These days, rather than just telling everyone to come back every 6 months, dentists generally tell you when they feel you actually need to be seen again. I think a lot of it is based on previous dental history (eg. if you get cavities frequently) and the current condition of your teeth. So if you have a history of frequent cavities, and the start of a couple of cavities when they examine you, they will tell you to come back in 6 months. If you've never had a cavity before and your teeth are in pretty much perfect condition on examination, they might not want you to come back for 12 or even 18 months.

So if your dentist has recommended that you go back after 6 months, I'd advise that you do it. They'll be able to remove the tartar that you're concerned about too.

And yes, going every 6 months can reduce anxiety as well, particularly if you have a visit where everything is alright.

Last time I went to the dentist in March, she didn’t tell me if I need to go back 6 months or 1 year later. I was cavity free and my dentist removed only a small amount of tartar buid up.

I don’t know if I should consider I have an history of frequent cavities or not. Indeed, when I was younger (although I am always young ;)) my teeth were pretty healthy (no calculs buildup and only 2 small cavities when I was 17 and 19 years old) and I seldom went to the dentist. When I was about 25 years old, I went to the dentist to have a check-up and I was again cavity free. My next dental visit was 3 years later (about 1.5 year ago) and my dentist found 8 cavities. I went to the dentist during few months to fix these teeth (and for a cleaning) and I went again in December to have a RCT because a tooth was still sensitive after filling.

I think my dentist said she would see me every 6 months until I had been cavity free for two years, and at that point it could be stretched out to every year. Not sure if that's a general rule, or just her own rule.

My last cavity was filled about one year ago :cry:

I was going to the dentist so often 1.5 year ago that I hoped to have a bit of a rest... I was so nervous when I go to the dentist.

Finally, I took my courage in both hands and I made an appointment at the dentist. My appointment is scheduled on November 10th. Hope everything will go smoothly.

My appointment is tomorrow. My dentist is nice and my last dental works went smoothly (just uncomfortable) but I am nervous before my dental check up and cleaning...

GOOD LUCK :clover::clover::clover: I am sure you will be fine :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::butterfly:

I went to my dentist. I was very nervous on my way to the dental office and more again once in the waiting room (I was early for my appointment thus I stayed more than 15 minutes in the waiting room). Then, I was called back to the examination room and I sat down in the chair.

The dentist looked around my mouth with a mirror. Unfortunately, she pointed out a cavity :cry::cry::cry::cry: I couldn’t see it because the cavity is in one of my upper teeth. This tooth was not painful and my dentist said it is a small cavity. Then, she took x-rays to complete the examination and she didn’t point out others cavities.

Then, the dentist told me I had significant amount of calculus buildup and she made an ultrasonic cleaning. Now my teeth are clean but I have to go back to the dentist on the 27th to get my cavity filled :cry:. I hate my teeth :mad:

I go every three months because of the difficultly of the shape of my mouth being small. got some awkard teeth, I think I either got a overbite/cross bite. my dentist prefers me to go every three months so any problems can be seen earlier, plus she knows from my anxiety and being nervous about visitiing a dentist, she is trying to help me less nervous even though I seen her for the last few years.

Personally, I would go every 6 months. If I could change one thing over the past 25 + years it would be my dental issues. My mom used to always take me when I was smaller and the last time I remembered being in a chair for a cleaning was when I was about 14. My dad and step mom were never good about taking me. I never had any fears because back then, even for a cleaning you were under gas. At 18 I had my first extraction. A decayed bottom molar and I had to see an oral surgeon as it was infected. Never had dental insurance until about 2 years ago so I made sure I brushed, flossed, brushed again, used mouthwash, and brushed with mouthwash for 5-10 minutes each time I brushed my teeth. Pointless since I currently have I have gum disease. Just turned 40. Several teeth had to be removed a year and a half ago because they had started breaking along with 1 wisdom tooth that was able to be pulled {the other wisdom teeth were too impacted and erupted for a regular dentist to pull}. I was awake for that and honestly never felt a thing. I was surprised when he was done. I honestly said 'Are you sure you got them all'.

I went to the dentist to get my cavity filled. Once again, I was very nervous before going to the dentist. To put things into perspective, I thought of my girlfriend who gave birth to our son few days ago and was brave during the labour. Although I was very nervous, everything went well. I felt a mild pain when she gave me a shot but then I didn’t feel the drill. The filling was done quickly, I was about 10 minutes in the chair.

I asked to my dentist how often should I go to the dentist. She told me I have to go every 6 months because I am at risk for tooth decay :( and I am rather prone to tartar buildup.

I am glad that your appointment went well for you. Don't tell your girlfriend that you compared childbirth to having a filling, it might not go down too well :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I must admit though once a few years ago I told my dentist that I would rather have a baby than visit them and they were astonished. Fear is fear and if you are nervous and afraid of the dentist then anything is preferable to going.

I think you have found a good one now and they seem to be able to treat you pain free and seem to understand how nervous you are about going. I think you will find that the more you go the less it will bother you.

Seeing how brave you were I think you should be awarded one of these :superman::butterfly:

There was an official report recently in the Uk which said to go every 6 months if you have problems but every two years if your teeth are fine.

I am glad that your appointment went well for you. Don't tell your girlfriend that you compared childbirth to having a filling, it might not go down too well :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I must admit though once a few years ago I told my dentist that I would rather have a baby than visit them and they were astonished. Fear is fear and if you are nervous and afraid of the dentist then anything is preferable to going.

I think you have found a good one now and they seem to be able to treat you pain free and seem to understand how nervous you are about going. I think you will find that the more you go the less it will bother you.

Seeing how brave you were I think you should be awarded one of these :superman::butterfly:

Sorry for not replying sooner but I was very busy with my son and having a newborn is exhausting. Of course I won’t tell my girlfriend that having a tooth filled is as unpleasant as childbirth :giggle: (all the more so since she is sometimes edgy because she is currently tired). She knows that I am scared of going to the dentist and is usually understanding but she told me there was no reason to be nervous and to behave childishly because of a small filling when she looked in my mouth and saw my cavity :cry:

Indeed, I think that I have found a good dentist. When I was a child, my previous dentist was not very friendly or kind. He was not very gentle when he worked in my mouth. In addition, he was not patient and often blamed me because I was not enough cooperative. My new dentist is very friendly and caring thus going to the dentist is less unpleasant. She fixed about 10 of my teeth including a deep cavity: it was not fun but it was not really painful because she is rather gentle. My girlfriend lost a filling few months ago and her dentist could not give her an appointment for about 2 months although her tooth was painful. She phoned my dentist and booked an appointment 2 weeks later. She found that this dentist was very nice and since then she has the same dentist as me.

Back