• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is it ever possible to get braces on the NHS for psychological reasons?

P

Prosopon

I have heard of Individual Funding Requests. Is it possible for a dentist (or GP, psychiatrist etc) to make an individual funding request for braces? I've read about women getting breast implants on the NHS for cosmetic and psychological reasons so am wondering if someone could actually get braces if the problem with their teeth was impacting on their life to the point where they were feeling suicidal over it?

No thoughts on this? :(

:flowers:I wanted to leave a comment since no one else has answered your post.

I live in the US so I have little knowledge of the NHS (but people speak of it often on this site so I've learned a bit about it). All I've ever done is pay directly out of pocket for dentistry so I can't be of much help. Maybe you could try googling around to see what you can find since you've not found the answer you're looking for yet.

:clover:

I would imagine that if the funding request is for psychological reasons then the avenue to explore would be through a psychologists report. A dentist wouldn't be qualified to make the request for you I'm afraid.
Maybe your starting point should be to see both your dentist and your GP?

:flowers:I wanted to leave a comment since no one else has answered your post.

I live in the US so I have little knowledge of the NHS (but people speak of it often on this site so I've learned a bit about it). All I've ever done is pay directly out of pocket for dentistry so I can't be of much help. Maybe you could try googling around to see what you can find since you've not found the answer you're looking for yet.

:clover:

Unfortunately google wasn't coming up with anything helpful or concrete! But thanks for commenting. :)

I would imagine that if the funding request is for psychological reasons then the avenue to explore would be through a psychologists report. A dentist wouldn't be qualified to make the request for you I'm afraid.
Maybe your starting point should be to see both your dentist and your GP?

Thank you for your help.

Back